Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

searching for IAN CAMERON born1923

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lesley Pamela

Lesley Pamela Report 25 Sep 2009 18:54

anyone know the whereabouts of ian cameron his wife joan nee wright and children ian 1949 ewan 1952 and fiona 1954.
ian is my mother s brother. his family emigrated to canada in 1954 but i believe returned to u k by 1970 ?
all three children were born in nottingham where their mother joan was born.
Really glad to hear of them as contact was lost a long time ago.
Many thanks fo any help. pamela

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 25 Sep 2009 19:16

By searching the birth records, I got the children's middle initials, and looked for marriages for those names. There is no marriage to match Ewan or Fiona's name, and several that could match son Ian, but none that would be readily identifiable as him. And no marriages in Nottinghamshire.

Ian and Joan married in 1944, so would have been born somewhere in the early 20s, likely. Do you know their dates of birth? A birthdate can be used to search the death index 1984-2005 (they would be in their mid-late 80s at least if living now) and soon to search from 1971 onward, when the index is transcribed.

I don't see a death record of a Joan W Cameron in that index that would match. This could be Joan's birth?

Joan W Wright Oct Nov Dec 1924 Nottingham Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire

A Joan Winton Cameron born 30 Nov 1925 died in Kent in 2000.

Perhaps they didn't return to England?

Lesley Pamela

Lesley Pamela Report 25 Sep 2009 22:59

thanks Janey,
ian cameron was born glasgow 1923 mother olsson sister mary teresa born 1921 .Ithink he was born in august.
his wife joan was born 1924 i believe her maiden name was wright and i think her mother owned a shop in wright street in nottingham.
I do know that the family returned to u k and an aunt remembers that fiona got married but when
the children were registered in bingham nottingham.
iam anovice on computers so all this is a bit beyond me but i really need to do this so am grateful for your help.
Ilooked up marriages about 1970 and found a fiona cameron in nottingham 1972 married to PESKY jan feb or march. what do you think? thanks again pamela

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 26 Sep 2009 00:14

Ordinarily, these days, you can expect people to marry under the names they were born with. (Not like half my ancestors ...)

So that's why I looked for a Fiona W.

There were two plain Fionas born in 1953 Nottinghamshire and 1954 Derbyshire, one of whom could account for that marriage.

There's be no harm in ordering that marriage certificate to see whether the age and father's name match up. I'll send you the registration details privately in case you don't have them (personal details about living people). There seem to be two children of the marriage.

Unfortunately I can't find the couple on the electoral roll. Ah, found something, will PM that too. Check your inbox. ;)