Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Away with Army - Not in census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

freerd

freerd Report 14 Nov 2010 17:53

My great grandfather, John Cameron Cameron is not listed in the 1901 Scotland census but his siblings and parents are. I believe that he was away with the army at that time. Most likely in the Second Boer War with the Cameron Highlanders.

Does the army account for soldiers abroad when a census is administered? If so, where could I find this information?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Nov 2010 17:59

You could try the National Archives site.I found my grandads Army record at Kew. he was in the Boar War so not on the 1901 census.
If he doesnt come up on the search then you may need to ask for a search from someone going to Kew.My grandads record still isnt online so yours may need a physical search at Kew too.

freerd

freerd Report 14 Nov 2010 18:10

Thanks Shirley. I just discovered that Ancestry.com is allowing free military searches today in honour of Rememberance Day. Hopefully, I can find information there too.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 14 Nov 2010 18:25

His records may be on Findmypast - all surviving discharge papers for the regular Army pre WW1 are now online, unless he may have served with the Imperial Yeomanry in the Boer War, although there is an online index to these. If he went on to serve in WW1 his earlier Army record may have been amalgamated with his WW1 record and may be on Ancestry.

freerd

freerd Report 14 Nov 2010 19:02

Excellent! I was able to find John's British Army Service Record on Findmypast. Thanks