Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dobbies from Lanarkshire & Dumfriesshire, Scotland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 24 Oct 2008 09:27

I am trying to trace people interested in the fantastic photo I have of a Capt Robert William DOBBIE taken in 1918 in Heliopolis in Cairo at end of WW1 entitled “half hour before he died” undoubtedly the last photo ever taken of him. I am not related. My grandfather was a mechanic in the RFC and he took the photo. Check your info to see if there is a connection & I will gladly fwd the photo if so. I think he is descended as follows:

Gen 1 The man himself: Capt Robert W Dobbie b abt1894 Glasgow, Lanarkshire shown in CWGC as Son of Jane B. Dobbie, of 26, Sandyford Place, Glasgow, and the late Rev. R. W. Dobbie
Royal Air Force, Unit: Aerial Observation School, Age: 24 Date of Death: 23/12/1918
Gen 2 Rev Robert W Dobbie b abt 1860 Glasgow, Lanarkshire or 1864 Hamilton, Lanarkshire, married Jane B A NK, b abt 1861 Glasgow, Lanarkshire – he is shown as Iron Merchs Clerk in 1881 census, aged 17, but the family does have a clergyman living with them so perhaps he was the influence for the career switch? Clearly a clergyman for Church of Scotland in 1891 & 1901 census. The siblings of Rev Robert W Dobbie were: Alexander J 1855, Alice M 1856 & Ellen 1858 – all born Glasgow, plus James 1860 shown as born Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Jenny or Janet P 1867, Richard I, John H 1868, Kate I, Lewis M & Lucy N.
Gen 3 Alexander Dobbie b abt 1828 Dundee or Annan, Dumfriesshire, commission merch & tea agent, married Mary NK
Gen 4 (Father)NK Dobbie m Jane NK b abt 1806 Annan, Dumfriesshire
Gen 5 James Dobbie b abt 1766 Scotland married NK (see 1841 census Ednam St, Annan, Dumfriesshire – living with Jane daughter in law by the looks of it?).

Angela

KittyM

KittyM Report 21 Jun 2011 16:25

hello
I came upon your message re the photograph of Capt. Dobbie.
I am not absolutely certain if there is a connection with my husband's tree
but if all the generations you quote are confirmed, there certainly is.
Gen 5. James Dobbie living in Ednam St in 1841 was the father of the Rev James Dobbie (1796-1846) of Annan married to Jean/Jane Faulds. they had 10 children one of whom was Alexander (1827-1902). One of his (Alexander's) brothers was our direct ancestor, the Rev. Thomas Dobbie (1835-1902), Minister of Lansdowne church, Glasgow
Have any others confirmed a link?
Regards

Katherine Dickie

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 22 Jun 2011 13:10

Hello KittyM and welcome to the boards.

It's been a while since Angela posted her message and it's doubtful if she is still looking for a response.

You can try clicking on her name and sending your message that way. If she still has the same email address she will be notified.

However, if you are looking for possible connections on this site, then put the names you are researching into the Search Trees box (above in the dark green bar) to see if anyone has them in their tree. If you find a connection, you can contact the tree owner.

Also, if you would like help with your own research, then why not start a thread of your own? Take a look at the Help Clinic - above left - for further advice. Regards. Cx.