Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Clayton

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LizRees

LizRees Report 30 Mar 2007 22:38

I'd like to find out more about my great grandfather, ROBERT CLAYTON - his full name was possibly ROBERT WILLIAM HEATH CLAYTON, born around 1858 in LONDON. Robert's place of birth was recorded as 'Not Known, London'. He was possibly born out of wedlock to a wealthy father who was connected to a Clayton's brewery. In the 1901 census he lived at ANSELM ROAD, FULHAM, LONDON with wife CAROLINE (nee WEEDON, possibly from Barnes) and 10 children including FIFE, ARTHUR, FRED, CHARLES, ALICE, ADA, FLORENCE (Floss, who later emigrated to Australia), LUCY and MIN. His profession was Barman at that time. I'm intrigued by the family history as apparently he was disowned by his parents. My grandmother ADA could remember some very well-dressed ladies (related to Robert) visiting in a very smart horse-drawn carriage. His family may have been owners of a brewery by the name of Clayton, but I can find no historic record of its existence. I'd appreciate any information about Robert's or Caroline's relations. Thank you Sue

Susan

Susan Report 4 Oct 2007 16:29

Hi Sue I have opened my tree for you, I am told my ggm was also disowned, she ran away to Aus and I think she must have gone to relatives there. Her Father was Joseph Clayton he was a surgeon and His wife Mary was from Chelsea They are on records in Fulham. Although I have copy of a marriage cert for Joseph and Mary Bennet I am confused as it says Joseph's father was John. I thought it was Antony. So I am going to send off for copy of Elizabeth's marriage cert to My GGF Samuel Beautiman. My Mother Florence talks of a Ada. Elizabeth was very posh and would only dine in the Savoy etc, after they married they came back to uk but she left one daughter Doris/Dora in Brisbane, I have records of Dora in Aus she married a Bartlett. Have a look at my tree, maybe we can help each other. Could I see your tree.

Best Wishes Sue

Paul

Paul Report 15 Nov 2007 14:58

There is a Clayton Arms in London, and I wonder if there is any relationship to he orginal brewery

Perry

Perry Report 22 Oct 2021 14:27

Hi all, have just started our Clayton family tree and discovered that my GG grandfather is William Heath Clayton and there are very similar details from previous comments that relate to our immediate family. We belive William is buried in Brompton cemetery, Fulham.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Oct 2021 14:56

This is a14 year old thread to which the first poster never returned, and she is no longer a member of GR, so making contact isn't possible

alviegal

alviegal Report 22 Oct 2021 14:58

I know this is an old, old thread but I believe this to be the original poster's great grandfather. If he fits into your tree Perry then well and good. LizRees does not appear to be a member of this site anymore.

1871 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Beach Street Crown Inn, Deal, Eastry, Kent, England

Household members (8 people)
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
William R H Clayton Head
- Male 47 1824 victualler London, Middlesex, England
Lucy A Clayton Wife
- Female 45 1826 - London, Middlesex, England
>>Robert Clayton Son
- Male 13 1858 - London, Middlesex, England
Charles A Clayton Son
- Male 11 1860 - London, Middlesex, England
Lucy M A Clayton Daughter
- Female 6 1865 - London, Middlesex, England
Alice A Clayton Daughter
- Female 3 1868 - London, Middlesex, England
Sophia E Ames Servant
- Female 22 1849 - Hertfordshire, England
Sarah Norris Servant
- Female 15 1856 - Kent, England

1861 England, Wales & Scotland Census
14, Great Hermitage Street, St Georges in the East, St George in the East, London & Middlesex, England

Household members (4 people)
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
William Clayton Head
Married Male 35 1826 Mariner Shoreditch, Middlesex, England
Lucy Ann Clayton Wife
Married Female 33 1828 - Aldgate, Middlesex, England
>>Robert Clayton Son
Unmarried Male 3 1858 - St George's, Middlesex, England
Charles Clayton Son
- Male 1 1860 - St George's, Middlesex, England

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Oct 2021 15:00

Welcome to the boards, Perry.

You have replied to a very old thread - 2007.

Sue :("LizRees" ) is no longer a member of GR and can't be contacted.
Susan is still a member, but won't be looking for replies here now.

You can try sending her a private message by clicking on her name in green at the top of her post.
If she still uses the email address which she registered with GR, they will notify her of your message.
She may (or many not, for many possible reasons after so long) be able and willing to reply .

If you would like the present-day helpers to have a look at records for you, please tell us what you want to know - and also everything you know already.
We'll be delighted to help if we can.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Oct 2021 15:01

Name: William Robert Heath Clayton
Marriage Age: 28
Record Type: Marriage
Birth Date: abt 1824
Marriage Date: 6 Sep 1852
Marriage Place: St Leonard, Shoreditch, Hackney, England
Father: Robert Clayton
Spouse: Lucy Ann Erixon
Father: Christopher Erixon