Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

looking for information about great grandfather Ed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 1 Feb 2008 15:27

I've got my great great grandmothers Hannah Collins marriage certificate and on there it states her fathers name as Edward Cllins, farmer I have looked through the census for different years but cannot find one with them at the same place at any time so i'm not to sure where to go from here. She was married to John Sherman 6/4/1895 in the Parish of St Phillip and Jacob and she is 24 years old

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 1 Feb 2008 15:30

Where did they live\?

Sandra

Sandra Report 1 Feb 2008 15:58

they seemed to come from the Thorbury Bristol.The chuch where they were married was in Bristol

Sandra

Sandra Report 1 Feb 2008 17:20

looking at the 1851 census there was an edward collins chipping sodbury, farmer, which is what his occupation was stated as on the marrige certificate, then in the 1861 he is there as a farmer in chipping sodbury with a wife and 2 children then I cant find any more about him and Hannah Collins is not on anything with him either. Do you think its possible that she never lived with her father or is it that I havn't found the right Edward Collins

Sandra

Sandra Report 1 Feb 2008 17:43

Thank you, so on this would it state mother and fathers name because as I said Edward Collins, fathers name on marriage cert cannot find anything on the census

Sandra

Sandra Report 1 Feb 2008 17:58

I'm not sure i just assume that its from the same area . I know Hannah met and married John sherman who was in a workhouse in thornbury where i believe she worked so i assumed as she was born worked and married around that area that i may find some information about him there too but i could be totally wrong

Selena in South East London

Selena in South East London Report 1 Feb 2008 18:31

Household:
1881 Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
Edward P. COLLINGS Head M Male 43 Ozleworth, Gloucester, England Of No Profession
John Davis COLLINGS Son U Male 18 H Upton, Gloucester, England
Penly Thomas COLLINGS Son U Male 16 H Upton, Gloucester, England
Clement COLLINGS Son U Male 15 H Upton, Gloucester, England
Hannah Davis COLLINGS Daur U Female 12 H Upton, Gloucester, England Scholar
Charley Kirly COLLINGS Son Male 10 H Upton, Gloucester, England Scholar

Selena in South East London Report 1 Feb 2008 18:32

Are there any clues in the witnesses on the marriage certificate?

Selena in South East London Report 1 Feb 2008 18:36

Marriages Mar 1859

Collins Edward Penly Stroud 6a 427
Davis Sarah Ann Stroud 6a 427

Stroud is in Gloucestershire

Sandra

Sandra Report 1 Feb 2008 18:40

Thank you so much, thats great because i couldn't find out any more, so now i need to find out when he got married and then i may be able to go further back ,so many thanks.

Sandra

Sandra Report 1 Feb 2008 19:38

Thank you, this probably is right because I seemed to come across whatlooks like to be his brother edmund as the the master in the workhouse in thornbury where Hannah worked so now I can see the connection. Thanks for all your help,it amazes me how you can sort all the pieces together and I've been trying for ages.

Sandra

Sandra Report 2 Feb 2008 16:11

well it says his fathers name was henry sherman who was deceased and i believe his mother was Hester Millard and he had a sister Mary Sherman who was also in the workhouse but cant find out any more about Henry Sherman anywhere.Thank you for all your help

Sandra

Sandra Report 2 Feb 2008 17:25

Yes and as Mary was also a child i cant find anything anywhere that put Hennry in the same place as her either

Sandra

Sandra Report 2 Feb 2008 18:03

I dont know if this could possibly be the same Hennry as I dismissed it before but in the 1891 census he is married with wife and 3 children living in thornbury. Would there be any way of finding this out