Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Edward Thomas Collins

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 13 Dec 2008 18:26

Trying to find Edward Thomas Collins - born probably in 1880s. Fought in WW1, possibly some links to South Africa. In 1920s was in Paris, later became a physiotherapist, and owned a clinic probably in or near Reading, Berkshire.
Any help greatly appreciated
Michael

Heather

Heather Report 13 Dec 2008 19:32

What are you actually looking for? Did he marry? Did he have children? What area did he come from.

You have to give us all you already know to help us.

Michael

Michael Report 13 Dec 2008 21:47

He had 1 child I know of, (my mother) in Paris, to a woman called Augustine Ernestine Klein, in 1927. I don't think they were married. I have a photo of him in uniform from WW1, which suggests he may have been in the South African Red Cross. In the 1920s or 30s he owned the Collins School of Physical Culture, which was probably in either Reading or Maidenhead. Beyond that I know nothing unfortunately, not even the decade of his death.
thanks

Heather

Heather Report 13 Dec 2008 23:25

So you are looking for descendants, not ancestry?

Michael

Michael Report 13 Dec 2008 23:53

I'm looking for info of any kind on him; where he was from, his own ancestors, where & when he died, any siblings etc

Joan

Joan Report 11 Jan 2009 13:43

Hi Michael. I certainly hope you are a regular on GR and see this. My maternal grandfather was EDWARD THOMAS COLLINS Born 18 February 1879 in Brighton, East Sussex. He served with the Royal Engineers in South Africa in the Anglo Boer War and decided to take his discharge in SA, and sent for my Brighton born grandmother, whom he married in SA in 1903. At the onset of WW1 he re-enlisted and was deployed to France. He never returned to SA and my gran had heard via one of his colleagues that he had met a girl in France and deserted from the Royal Engineers. It was also said that twins were born of his relationship with the French girl, but whether or not this is true is a mystery. It is also questionable whether or not the girl he had a relationship with was actually French, or not perhaps another British citizen. I also have a photograph of him in military uniform and would love it if you could email a copy of your pic of your relative to me so that I can ascertain whether it is, in fact, the same person. I have been trying to research him for years and keep reaching brick walls, so I am pretty excited at the prospect of your Edward possibly being one and the same person, in which case I have mountains of info for you on his ancestors and descendants.
Could you please contact me on my email address [email protected] so that we can chat more.
Best regards
JOAN Cape Town, RSA

Joan

Joan Report 11 Jan 2009 18:27

Hi Micheal.
Please see my message earlier today and get back to me urgently

Joan Cape Town, RSA

Joan

Joan Report 12 Jan 2009 04:53

Hi Michael
I have sent you two replies. Please get back to me soonest.
Joan

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Jan 2009 05:22

Joan

send Michael a pm with all this information just in case he isn't checking this thread. Even if he is no longer a member, GR will send him an email to tell him that a pm is waiting for him

Just click on his name

Good luck

sylvia

Joan

Joan Report 12 Jan 2009 18:26

Thanks Sylvia

In desperation I contacted GR to ask for help.

Michael has made contact with me.....not sure whether this is with thanks to GR but I am ecstatic that I've possibly found someone at last who can help with the mysteries of my missing grandfather.
Best regards
Joan

Michael

Michael Report 21 Jan 2009 20:51

Hi
Unfortunately Joan's relative did not turn out to be my Edward Thomas Collins, so if anyone has any tips I'd love them.
thanks
Michael