Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John COLLINS - Irish Marriage? **UPDATE P2**

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Travelman

Travelman Report 14 Sep 2009 19:23

Hi

I wonder if anyone may be able to help a friend of mine please. She is trying to find a marriage for a John COLLINS born London Borough 1846 to a Rebecca (surname unknown). She was born in 1855 in Ballymalis Co Kerry Ireland.

The marriage would have been around 1874, possibly in Ireland, as their first child Dennis was born in 1875.

She found John Collins on the 1881 census UK, civil parish St Sepulchre, Parliamentary Borough of London City, age 36, born Borough, no middle name I'm afraid. Occupation given as bacon curer. Rebecca aged 26, born Ireland. Son Dennis age 6, born Ireland.

She couldn't can't find them on the 1891 census UK, but found them again on 1901 census. They were then in the civil parish St Sepulchre, borough of Finsbury and had five more children. Daughter Rebecca born in London City and Bridget born London Holborn, the others were born in Ireland.

She found Rebecca senior on 1911 census but no John so I assume he had died between 1901 and 1911. On this census their eldest son is still single and livng at home but they have mistranscribed his name as Daniel.

This is all I can tell you so if there is anyone out there with access to Irish marriage records that would be very helpful.

Thanks again

David

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 14 Sep 2009 20:14

David...There is marriage registered on Free BMD for a John Collins to a Rebecca Hollingshead .Bethnal Green. 1871 a possibility perhaps....

Travelman

Travelman Report 14 Sep 2009 20:16

As they say every little helps - thanks for looking!

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 14 Sep 2009 20:33

David...I have looked at the 1881 census for John and Rebecca...Dennis was not their eldest child ...Catherine b.Belfast aged 5yrs was....there is also a large age gap for John and Reb.wonder if it was his 2nd marriage and the children born Ireland were to his first wife...That being said it is all speculation...Where did your friend get the "Born 1855 Ballymalis Co.Kerry" from for Rebecca...

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 14 Sep 2009 20:39

David..."Daniel" need not have been a mistranscription on th1911 Census...They had a son Daniel ..aged 4mths on 1881 Census.

Travelman

Travelman Report 14 Sep 2009 20:48

Hi

I am not sure where my friend got Rebecca's DOB from I will have to ask!

Thank you again!

David

Travelman

Travelman Report 14 Sep 2009 21:10

This will be the family in 1881 so Rebecca's DOB came from here ......

Household:

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
John COLLINS Head M Male 39 Bourough Bacon Frier Procurer
Rebecca COLLINS Wife M Female 26 Ireland
Dennis COLLINS Son Male 4 Ireland Scholar
Catherine COLLINS Daur Female 5 Belfast, Ireland Scholar
John COLLINS Son U Male 19 m Southwark
Danniel COLLINS Son U Male 4 m London City Of, London, Middlesex, England
Mary CONNER Visitor W Female 70 Ireland Independant

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling No 8 Hosier Lane
Census Place London, Middlesex, England
Family History Library Film 1341081
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 0374 / 21
Page Number 16

David

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 14 Sep 2009 21:16

David...Its the "Ballymalis Co.Kerry" part I am curious about....

Travelman

Travelman Report 14 Sep 2009 21:30

Soz I see .... i'll try and find out!

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 14 Sep 2009 21:51

David..I would suggest checking the 1871 Census for John Collins...as you can see from the 1881 Census there is nearly a 13 year gap in ages between him and Rebecca...I am not sure that the "Hollingshead" marriage would be feasible as she would only be 15/16yrs old. However I can find no other Rebecca marrying a John Collins within the years 1871/82 in the UK.
As the child John (19mths.) was born Southwark then the best thing for your friend to do is get his Birth Cert.which will at least give mothers maiden name...

Travelman

Travelman Report 14 Sep 2009 22:06

I think it is likely the marriage took place in Ireland as the eldest children were born there so I was wondering if anyone has access to Irish Marriage Records?

Thanks again

David

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 15 Sep 2009 09:03

David...You can try www.familysearch.org. Use the Pilot Search from the drop down menu.
I have already looked at Co.Kerry for a "Rebecca" and John Collins....There are only 2 marriages for a Rebecca and 10 for a John Collins but you really do need to get her Surname before you can go further.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 15 Sep 2009 09:07

David ...I have also looked for a Catherine Collins b.Belfast (as per 1881 Census)....no record listed on the Pilot Site.

Travelman

Travelman Report 15 Sep 2009 09:12

Thanks for all your help I will come back if I find any other clues!

Travelman

Travelman Report 15 Sep 2009 15:10

Hi again

It looks as we have 2 names now (thanks Maura x) so would anyone be able to see if they can find the marriage in Ireland or the UK please?

John COLLINS and Rebecca DERNICHY

Marriage c 1875/1876

Many thanks, David

Travelman

Travelman Report 15 Sep 2009 19:53

Dear ErinGoBragh1916

My friend found the birth place of Rebecca from the 1911 Census. As we now have a surname for Rebecca as above can anyone find the marriage please?

I have tried www.familysearch.org, using the Pilot Search from the drop down menu as suggested but no luck there either!

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Thank you

David

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 15 Sep 2009 20:24

David...We are now looking to locate a Marriage of a Rebecca "Dernichy" b.Co.Kerry....
Where did the name Dernichy come from and in relation to what...?

Travelman

Travelman Report 15 Sep 2009 21:02

Hi

I received a PM giving me details of her daughter's birth in Belfast - father's name John Collins and mother's name Rebecca Dernichy ;)

Thanks!

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 15 Sep 2009 21:33

David...In the absence of the actual Cert. it could well be the "Dernichy" surname may well have been transcribed incorrectly...I'd be after looking at Donaghy/Donaghue/Variations...
No Dernichy Surname in the Co.Kerry/Cork.....

Travelman

Travelman Report 15 Sep 2009 21:36

I appreciate your help very much thank you x