Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

michael collins marriage in 1865-1875 liverpool

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley

Shirley Report 15 Jul 2010 21:35

Trying to find marriage of michael collins to a catherine/kate in liverpool between 1860-1875 ish. michael was born in ireland and catherine/kate was born in scotland. Was thinking a possible would be surname burke or brady??
can anyone out there help?/

Mike *

Mike * Report 15 Jul 2010 21:38

Is this it ?

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1860

COLLINS Michael = BOYLE Catherine
Liverpool, Our Lady & St. Nicholas & St. Anne Liverpool 2053LP/40/51

edit :
Wrong info given so not this one it seems

Mike *

Mike * Report 15 Jul 2010 21:39

Or ....

EDIT : WRONG MARRIAGE

Mike *

Mike * Report 15 Jul 2010 21:40

or maybe ...

EDIT : NO

Mike *

Mike * Report 15 Jul 2010 21:47

Looks like the 1872 one is favourite seeing as you say the bride's surname was either Brady or Burke.

edit : Seems not after all.

Shirley

Shirley Report 15 Jul 2010 21:59

Hi all
I guessed it was burke or brady. from free bmd. in 1891 susan- was 11 ithink. but not sure-mislaid my paperwork. In 1891 michael was fifty. i think i found their daughter was 11 in 1891 susan was her name. and in 1883 they had daughter julia collins. I did consider a catherine mcquinn also. just trying to figure which one sounded most scottish?? I have sent for the certificate of julia to get her mothers maiden name but it will take two weeks and i am just seeing if i can find out before it comes as i have no patience.
hopefully
shirley

Mike *

Mike * Report 15 Jul 2010 22:08

Never a good idea to guess.

You did the right thing in ordering a birth cert for the child so you can work back from there.
I'm afraid if you've no patience, you're in the wrong hobby !

Shirley

Shirley Report 15 Jul 2010 22:17

true michael . but you never know on here and on other sites what people can discover from their sources. Ive never tried to get a certificate from liverpool before and did not realise how long it would take. the maximum ive waited in the past is a week for them. but i watched heir hunters yesterday and fraser and fraser managed to obtain one in a matter of hours. from liverpool registry office. I rang the office the other day and the lady i spoke to was really helpful and friendly and told me how busy they were. Bet fraser and fraser paid extra. and i may discover on here someone researching this michael collins. slim chance i know but ....? Im holding out for brady or burke i think. Burke sounds scottish to me. Or it may be posssible that this catherine may not be his first wife as i am sure susan collins was born in 1870-but can not find her on free bmd either. . I amat a loose end until i get the certificate i guess.
thanks for your help though-appreciate it
shirley

Mike *

Mike * Report 15 Jul 2010 22:21

You can usually buy a copy of a certificate over the counter within an hour if you go in person to the office where it was registered.

Shirley

Shirley Report 15 Jul 2010 22:30

I tried that one. i asked if i could maybe get it quicker if i came down to liverpool and paid over the counter and she said no-i would still have to wait a fortnight as they had a queue system going for family history. They must be extremely busy or very short staffed. Probably both. Fair enough but its the longest ive had to wait. I think they cover three registration areas and with it being a port they have always been extremely busy. The staff were really nice but still it will be two weeks. just have to curb my enthusiasm till then .
thanks again
shirley

Shirley

Shirley Report 25 Sep 2010 07:52

Hi again
Thanks for all your help folks. i eventually discovered that michael collins married a catherine Mcquinn in 1869 in west derby st michaels and his dad was jacobus/james collins and catherines dad was also jacobus/james mcquinn. ive not been able to track either of them yet on the census for 1861 . so if there is anyone out there who is good at detective work i would really welcome any help or suggestions. Michael was supposedly born in ireland in 1846-1848 and catherine was born in scotland in 1849 . cheers.
shirley