Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP WITH COLLINS SEARCH PLEASE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joan

Joan Report 25 Nov 2007 17:49

I've reached a deadend in my tree due to the fact that my forefathers originally came from Cork, Ireland and I need record details of the descendants to enable me to order certificates.

The grandparents of my grandfather, Edward Thomas Collins, were:

EDWARD WILLIAM COLLINS Born c1839 in Brighton, Sussex.

EDWARD WILLIAM had a brother
FREDERICK PHILIP COLLINS Born 20 March 1836 and a sister
SARAH ANN COLLINS Born c1840, both in Brighton.

Their parents were:

PHILIP COLLINS Born c1814 in Brighton and
ANN (MAIDEN NAME UNKNOWN)

PHILIP COLLINS' parents were:

WILLIAM COLLINS born c1766 in Cork, Ireland and
SOPHIA (maiden name unknown) born c1776 in Ireland

I have the Marriage Certificate of EDWARD WILLIAM COLLINS which reflects that PHILIP COLLINS was a fisherman and lived at 13 Queen Street Russell Street, Brighton(possibly a corner property) EDWARD WILLIAM was married on 5 June 1859 Aged 22 which would make his year of birth 1837 (?).
I desperately need details of his birth record, and/or the birth record of FREDERICK PHILIP COLLINS as well as the birth record of PHILIP COLLINS and WILLIAM COLLINS (if humanly possible).

Are there any kind, knowledgeable GR's out there that could help?

More than grateful for any help offered and many thanks for your efforts on my behalf.

Kind regards

JOAN Cape Town, RSA

xHeyJudex

xHeyJudex Report 25 Nov 2007 18:28

I have Philip Collins in 1871 Fisherman (widower). Is this the same guy?
He was with other children then.
Judith

Joan

Joan Report 25 Nov 2007 18:36

Hi Judith

I don't have a Philip in 1871 but the family seems to have a history of fishermen and watermen. My Philip b c1814's son Frederick Philip was Capt Collins of Skylark fame in Brighton. Perhaps the name was carried forward to further generations but I have only been dealing with my direct ancestry and haven't really investigated the further siblings and their marriages. Did your Philip also come from the Brighton area?

Joan

Joan

Joan Report 18 Dec 2007 19:23

Hi Pat

Yes I certainly do and I've answered to your "Looking For"today. Reginald was one of my grandfather's siblings amongst others, Ellen Catherine, Lawrence, Daisy and Dorothy and their parents were William Henry Collins and Ellen Harman. I have left my email address on your thread but in case you don't get it, here it is once more: [email protected].
I have lots of info for you!
Regards
Joan

Joan

Joan Report 23 Dec 2007 17:43

Hi Shelley
The names you have given me are not familiar to me but I haven't yet researched my undirect line's siblings etc so it's not impossible. What a difficult task it is to get into the Irish info though. I've now discovered that my Collins' were known as Collins Gillam quite far back and that the Gillam was dropped at some stage and only Collins was used. This will take a bit of research on my side and I'm looking for the reason for the change...but sadly no luck yet. If by chance yours is the same line it is possible that you're also reaching deadends due to the name change.
Have a brilliant Xmas and new year.
Regards
Joan Cape Town RSA