Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Covington

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Olivia

Olivia Report 17 Oct 2006 23:22

Can anyone please help me, I am looking for infromation on William John Covington, I know that he died 19th August 1917 at Ypres, France. I have been told by family that he was a Professional Soldier, but rejoned the army at the start of WWI. I have found out that in WWI he was a Gunner in the Royal Garrison Artillery Corp, and was in the British Expedtitonary Force, and that he is buried at Duhallow A.D.S. Cemetery in Belgium. He had at least one daughter Adelia Agnes, she was born c.1905, and married Harold Pratt and had two sons. I would also like information on his wife who I think was Rose. If anyone has any information at all or has any ideas of where I could look I would be most grateful. Thanks Olivia

Glenise

Glenise Report 22 May 2021 12:25

Hi Not sure if this will help

http://www.covingtonhistory.co.uk

also if know regiment was in can try them for the history of his regiment

good luck

Glenise

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 May 2021 12:51

Do you have his army number? If it was short then he was a regular soldier if it was a long number he was probably a conscript.

Look for his marriage on www.freebmd.org.uk

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 May 2021 12:58

Glenise -

Olivia posted that in 2006, and isn't likely to be looking for replies now.

You can try sending her a private message - click on her name in green at the top of her post.
If she still has the same email address, and is still alive / well / interested in family history, she will be able to receive it.

greyghost

greyghost Report 22 May 2021 13:02

EDIT - caught out!! But will leave the info below

CWGC site - https://www.cwgc.org

Gunner WJ Covington Royal Field Artillery No. 276751

Nearest relative/ NOK
Mrs RA Covington, 30 Belmont Street, Chalk Farm, London NW1

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 May 2021 13:52

Oops. Me too.

Shame Olivia didn’t get any help at the time.