Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Cozens

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jonathan

Jonathan Report 23 Sep 2006 10:23

Trying to find any members of the Cozens family that once had a large drapers and house furnishing shop called Messrs G. Cozens & Co. Ltd at 32 Edgware Road, London. The drapers shop ceased trading in 1940 before becoming a US Red Cross building during the war years. The reason I ask is that there has always been a rumour in our family that my Great Grandmothers family is connected in some way to this shop but I have never been able ever to confirm and I would obviously love to do so. As always any help greatly received. Jon

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 6 Sep 2017 10:53

I have no useful information but think that I too am indirectly related to the Cozens family of 32 Edgware Road. My dad (who died in 1989) was adopted but never told us. I submitted my DNA to the separate ancestry website and using those results and information from an intermediary services adoption agency think that my father's grandparents on his father's side were probably William Herbert Cousins and Ellen Havers. We think that my father's birth mother worked at the Cozens drapers Edgware road as a domestic.
I hope that you see this - it has been 11 years since you posted.
Regards, Sylvia Ellis

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 6 Sep 2017 10:54

To clarify, none of the above came directly from the agency who have no information about my father's birth father.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Sep 2017 16:06

Welcome to the boards, Sylvia.

As you've noticed, you've replied to an old post. Jonathan will not be looking for replies here now.

You can try sending him a private message - just click on his name at the top of his post.
If he still uses the email address he registered with GR, they will notify him by email that there is a message from you in the GR system.

If you're lucky, he will be able to receive, read and even reply to it!

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 7 Sep 2017 06:16

Thanks have sent him a message.

Margaret

Margaret Report 11 Mar 2018 19:23

I have just found this thread. My grandfather was illegitimate, but I have his birth certificate. There was talk in the family that there was a strong connection to the Cozens family in Mackne, Berks and a furnishing shop in the Edgeware Rd. A carpet purchased just after the war, had a Cozens lablel on it. I can give more details.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Mar 2018 19:46

Welcome to the boards, Margaret.

To try to contact either Jonathan or Sylvia, follow the advice already given to Sylvia above.

Although it was just last September when Sylvia last added to this thread, I don't think she's a frequent user of the boards, and may not spot your post here.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 11 Mar 2018 21:34

I almost never log on but was "watching" this post so Genes Reunited told me about this update. I tried contacting Jonathan but heard nothing back - presumably he has changed his e-mail address. My fother's birth mother worked at this address, but in order to find out her name I have agreed to be careful how I share what I know about her. We think that my father's DNA father had surname Cousins but probably unrelated to Cozens drapers. Happy to correspond privately but I need to work out how..

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Mar 2018 21:42

If you send Margaret a private message through GR, and give her your email address, you can then correspond privately without GR being involved in any way.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 12 Mar 2018 11:11

Thanks. Have sent Margaret a private message, though there is very little that I can tell her.