Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Malachi Cunningham

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 5 Mar 2010 15:33

Hi, I'm trying to find a Malachi (or Malachy, Malackey) Cunningham who was born in Ireland between 1820-1822. His father was John Cunningham (a butcher ) . He married around 1840-1843 to Mary (surname unknown).
Sorry that the info is a bit vague, but I've found that the Irish records are a bit difficult to get hold of.

Thanks in advance
Best wishes

John.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 5 Mar 2010 17:45

John....How do you know Malachi's father was a butcher...? Was M.married in UK...
Anything...will help...

John

John Report 5 Mar 2010 18:27

Hi,

Malachi married his second wife (Jane O'Neil) in St. Helens, Lancashire in 1861. I have a copy of this certificate which gives his father's name and job. Apart from this infomation I know nothing about Malachi.
I'd love to know where he was born but every time I find an ancestor who was born in Ireland it's like hitting a brick wall. If it helps he seems to have come to England between 1843 and 1846 between the births of his first two children, John and Catherine.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

John.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 5 Mar 2010 18:30

Have you traced him on the censuses to see if an elderly parent turns up?

John

John Report 5 Mar 2010 18:42

Hi Madmeg, I've tried but it seems as though his parents stayed in Ireland...

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 5 Mar 2010 19:41

It might help you to look at this thread - lots of useful info on Irish records:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=951721

If you find my John and Mary Kelly, let me know!!!!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 5 Mar 2010 20:00

So this is his marriage......?

Marriages Jun 1861
Cunningham Lackey ..Prescot 8b 845

O' Neil Jane ..Prescot 8b 845

Gwyn

John

John Report 5 Mar 2010 21:12

Hi Gwyn,

Yes that's the one...

John

John Report 5 Mar 2010 21:14

Thanks for the tip Madmag, I'll have a look at it when I get home... I'm at work at the minute :-(

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 5 Mar 2010 21:30

Perhaps this is his daughter's birth....?

Births Dec 1846

Cunningham Catherine Prescot 20 819

That would show her mother's maiden name and so make it easier to find the correct 1st marriage in Ireland.

Gwyn

John

John Report 6 Mar 2010 00:43

Hi Gwyn, I hadn't thought of that thanks for the tip, I'll send off for it when I can and re-post this thread. Can I thank you all for all your help and advise, you've been a great help.

Best wishes and happy hunting

John.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 6 Mar 2010 21:13

John, don't re-post the thread. Just add to it. Then we can all see the history behind it.