Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Leonard Dennis

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Justice of Peace

Justice of Peace Report 15 Nov 2007 21:42

I am hoping to make contact with my uncle Leonard Dennis and his family.
He was the brother of my Mom Florence Mabel and they both resided in Barrows Road, Sparkhill. Birmingham around 1930/1960
I am Joyce, Florences daughter and would dearly love to hear from you.

Justice of Peace

Justice of Peace Report 27 Dec 2007 09:30

nudge

Justice of Peace

Justice of Peace Report 14 Jan 2008 19:11

nudge

Justice of Peace

Justice of Peace Report 3 May 2009 05:32

Nudge

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 4 May 2009 03:14

Deaer Justice of the Peace (Joyce)

Have you searched the GR member trees for your uncle?

Search the BMD for birth and marriage certificates for your uncle.

The you can narrow down the possiblities.

What are the names of his children and their dates of birth?
If you have them, search on GR family trees.

Gradually piece the info together.

It would be a long shot that he or his family were reading your message or even be GR Members.

But try the above suggestions.

Please don't give up looking.

Very best wishes to you Joyce
x

Justice of Peace

Justice of Peace Report 4 May 2009 07:07

Good morning Fairthorn and Elizabeth,

Thank you both for your interest in my research for Leonard Dennis..

Leonard was the youngest son in a family of four children, he being born around 1907/1910ish. His older brother being Walter and his sisters being Florence and Lily, parents being Walter and Amelia...and yes Elizabeth I have searched other trees but to no avail....there is a slight problem in that this person was known to me by the christian names of Dennis Leonard ??????? and who changed his surname by deed poll many years ago for reasons I can understand but prefer not to mention right now.

My posting being in the hope that his close family whom I believe to be one living son and possible grandchildren would be GR members.

There is only a slim chance of any contact but feel the need to at least test the waters.

Kind regards,

Joyce Page nee Stokes

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 4 May 2009 22:49

Dear Justice of of the Peace

There is no need to reveal anything of a sensitive nature on the
GR public board that can be read by all. It would also be unwise.

However, there seems confusion over your relatives name.

Once, you have this clearly, try searching the electoral records
or 192 com for details of your uncle and his son.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes
x

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 11 May 2009 01:55

The reason Fairthorn can't find him in 1911 is that he was born after that census!!

And that took a whole lot of sleuthing, believe me! (there must have been some names in the thread that aren't there as I'm seeing it, so I had to work them out) -- but Joyce, it could help your search to have that info, so I'll send it to you by PM.

The possibly sad news is that there is a death that could match that birth, in terms of quarter of birth and the general geography from your first post. I'll send that too. If you get his birth certificate, you'll be able to see whether it matches the date.

Justice of Peace

Justice of Peace Report 11 May 2009 08:57

Dear Janey,

Thank you so very much for researching on my behalf and yes, based on the information sent me via your PM you have indeed found my long lost uncle... from his death certificate details I can hopefully follow up any leads and maybe find cousins who I believe to be living.
It amazes me how adept folk are at pinpointing and delivering correct information when the likes of myself spend many hours and days in fruitless searches.

To all of you people that have afforded me assistance my greatful thanks.

Kind regards

Joyce

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 11 May 2009 11:28

As you say, JaneyCanuck, not the easiest of searches with the info provided !!!
Still you have found his widow & perhaps cousins for Joyce,

If Dennis Leonard ( not Leonard Dennis )

changed his name to XXXX & lived in Solihull

His wife is still there & on the telephone

DATA SENT to Joyce

Justice of Peace

Justice of Peace Report 12 May 2009 14:06

Good afternoon to each of you......

With the information that Janey PM'd me I have finally ordered a death certificate for Leonard Dennis, this certificate should name a follow up contact from whom I can hopefully glean more family news.

To obtain such certificate has been a somewhat hassle, after making three attempts to purchase same and rejected each time by GRO I contacted my bank to be told that my secure code had been blocked hence no transactions being actioned, am up and running now.

My next posting to you kind folks should hold good news for a change, here's hoping.

Thanks all

Regards

Joyce

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 12 May 2009 16:24

So glad to have helped, Joyce.

I remembered helping you out by nudging a couple of threads you couldn't find a while back, and this time decided to join the hunt. Another of those good old-timey GR team efforts!

Justice of Peace

Justice of Peace Report 18 May 2009 14:56

Good afternoon once again folks,

The death certifcate for Leonard Dennis arrived last Saturday and pleased to say I recognised the name of the widow of the deceased as being my aunt.
I ran an Electoral roll check and she still lives at the same address, at the moment I am wording a letter to her rather than telephoning just in case she is not interested in making contact, the last time we met up was about twenty years ago.

Have a good day all,

Kind regards, Joyce

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 18 May 2009 16:41

Thanks for the update, they're always appreciated; and best of luck.