Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

June Turner

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

June

June Report 24 May 2005 13:24

i am trying to find out about my Dads family. his name is James Devenny and was born on 27.6.1927 in donegal Ireland. ive been told ive got quite a big family but have no idea where to start looking!! he was married to my Mum Sandra in 1979? and from what i can remember his father was named William and he had at least 8 brothers and sisters. if you think you can help i would love to hear from you!!!!

Janet

Janet Report 20 Aug 2018 22:35

June, Are you still looking for Devenneys in Co.Donegal?

My GG Grandmother was Mary Anne Devenney born in the Raymoghy parish in Co. Donegal. I have found lots of Devenneys in parish registers but struggling to piece them together.

Janet

malyon

malyon Report 20 Aug 2018 22:58

janet i dont think june will see this old thread 13yrs old you could try sending june a message by clicking on her name

malyon

malyon Report 20 Aug 2018 23:04

is this your gt.gt. grandmother

Mary Ann Devenny
Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881
Name: Mary Ann Devenny
Birth Date: 10 Apr 1867
Birthplace: Donegal, Ireland
Father's Name: James Devenny
Mother's Name: Bridget Trower

malyon

malyon Report 20 Aug 2018 23:06

or this one
Mary Anne Devenny
Name: Mary Anne Devenny
Birth Date: 28 Nov 1876
Father's Name: Patrick Devenny
Mother's Name: Bridget Devenny Mccafferty

Janet

Janet Report 20 Aug 2018 23:35

Hi, I have PM'd June as well as posting on the board.

I believe that Mary Anne's dad was called Charles from her marriage certificate.

malyon

malyon Report 20 Aug 2018 23:54

Mary Devenny
Name: Mary Devenny
Birth Date: 14 Mar 1869
Father's Name: Charles Devenny
Mother's Name: Mary Donnell

malyon

malyon Report 20 Aug 2018 23:57

when did mary ann marry do you know when she was born

Janet

Janet Report 21 Aug 2018 00:37

She married James Tourish in the procial house St Johnston, Co. Donegal in 1881. Not sure where she was born unfortunately.

Dea

Dea Report 21 Aug 2018 08:03

This looks like them in 1901 census if it is of any interest?

Residents of a house 10 in Corkey (Kincraigy, Donegal)
Show all information
Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
Tourish James 40 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Donegal Flax Scutcher Cannot read - Married -
Tourish Mary 37 Female Wife Roman Catholic Co Donegal - Cannot read - Married -
Tourish Margaret 19 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Donegal - Read and write - Not Married -
Tourish John 17 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Donegal Scutcher Read and write - Not Married -
Tourish Catherine 14 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Donegal - Read and write - Not Married -
Tourish Hanah 12 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Donegal - Read and write - Not Married -
Tourish Charles 9 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Donegal Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
Tourish Rose 7 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Donegal Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
Tourish Bridget 1 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Donegal - Cannot read - Not Married -
Devenny Hanah 94 Female Visitor Roman Catholic Co Donegal - Cannot read - Widow - Not married.

Dea x

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 21 Aug 2018 09:21

same family 1911:

Residents of a house 6 in Corkey (Kincraigy, Donegal)

Toorish James 50 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Donegal Farmer Married
Toorish Mary 48 Female Wife Roman Catholic Co Donegal Married 30 13 9
Toorish Annie 22 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Donegal Farmers Daughter Single
Toorish Rose 18 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Donegal Farmers Daughter Single
Toorish Bridget 12 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Donegal Scholar Single

Janet

Janet Report 21 Aug 2018 09:44

I have the Tourish family, it's the Devenney connections I can't find as I only have MA Devenney and James Tourish marriage certificate.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Aug 2018 10:56

The censuses show when Mary was born - that must be of help to you

Also, as you have her marriage cert, her father should be named - if she knew him

greyghost

greyghost Report 21 Aug 2018 11:36

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1881/11001/8022271.pdf

Party 1 Name JAMES TOORISH
Party 2 Name MARY DEVENNY
Date of Event 12 May 1881
Group Registration ID 2695753
SR District/Reg Area Strabane

from the image -

Marriage solemnized in the RC Parochial House of St Johnston in the Registrar's District of Raphoe in the Union of Strabane in the County of Donegal

James age 20 Bachelor Labourer of Tullyrap. Father James Toorish a Flax Scutcher**
and Mary 18 spinster Servant of Tullyrap. Father Charles Devenny a Flax Scutcher

both made their mark

witnesses - James McFlinn and Mary --- Toorish - both made their mark

** Separated the husk from the flax fibres by holding it against rotating paddles