Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Edith Ford `729

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SpanishEyes

SpanishEyes Report 22 Jan 2009 04:24

I have an Edith Ford 1729 to 1804. I have a lot of detail re her spouse whose surname is Toogood but I need to find the Ford information. She came from Mere in Wiltshire and these are my main interest. Can anyone help please with parents, siblings ,cousins etc.
Many thanks Bridget

Astra

Astra Report 22 Jan 2009 06:30

This is on Familysearch.org but it is a submitted record although there is a batch number.

EDITH FORD Pedigree
Female

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 01 SEP 1729 Mere, Wiltshire, England

Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: WILLIAM FORD Family

And all children born to William. Edith and Sarah were baptised within 30 days of each other so not sure that all of these children came from the same William.

LUCY FORD - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 03 OCT 1735 Mere, Wiltshire, England

2. MARGRET FORD - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 29 MAY 1734 Mere, Wiltshire, England

3. ANN FORD - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 04 JAN 1731 Mere, Wiltshire, England

4. EDITH FORD - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 01 SEP 1729 Mere, Wiltshire, England

5. SARAH FORD - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 30 SEP 1729 Mere, Wiltshire, England

6. WILLIAM FORD - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 07 JUN 1728 Mere, Wiltshire, England

7. HANNAH FORD - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 15 FEB 1725 Mere, Wiltshire, England

8. MARY FORD - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 10 APR 1725 Mere, Wiltshire, England

9. WILLIAM FORD - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 28 MAY 1724 Mere, Wiltshire, England

10. MARY FORD - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 27 MAR 1722 Mere, Wiltshire, England

11. JAMES FORD - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 19 DEC 1716 Mere, Wiltshire, England

12. MARY FORD - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 04 APR 1706 Mere, Wiltshire, England

SpanishEyes

SpanishEyes Report 23 Jan 2009 07:33

Thank you so very much for this info. I can now hopefully move forward. Can you tell me how I can trace her parents:?

I am sorry that I did not come back to you yesterday but had a very emotional find on the Irish 1911 census... I found information about my fathers family which will I hope solve a mystery that started back in 1912..My father died in his 80s not knowing who his parents were and being brought up with a false identity.

He was in his 20s when he discovered this and he searched all his life to find what I have just found and I am 62!

Also today is the 3rd anniverssary of my mothers death and she too had tried so hard to find these people, I hope that they can now both rest in peace.
THANK YOU to everyone who has helped me over the last 4 years.

Bridget

Astra

Astra Report 25 Jan 2009 07:13

It will probably be a case of searching the Parish records. You know her father was William so you have a start. Just let me see if anything comes up on A........ry for Wiltshire.

Aha! This could be them marrying in Mere.

Wiltshire: - Registers of Marriages, 1561-1812
Thomas Lambert, esquire. Delivered into Court 9th May, 20 Charles 1st [1644].
Marriages at Mere, 1561 to 1812.
Volume 2.
County: Wiltshire
William Ford & Mary Read, both of M. 23 Jul 1704

or this one which is in Colerne. Not sure where that is located in Wiltshire.

Wiltshire: - Registers of Marriages, 1538-1812
Marriages in the Church.
Marriages at Colerne, 1661 to 1812.
Volume 1.
William Ford & Mary Mullins [sic, out of order] 13 Apr 1710

Astra

Astra Report 25 Jan 2009 07:32

None of the baptisms for Mere appear to be lsited which is probably why the information on IGI is submitted. The records could have been damaged at some point.
I also found another marriage listed so I think your next step is Wiltshire Archives to see what you can find.
Well done for finding the information about your Father. I understand completely what an emotional time this must be for you and both of your parents must be consuming your thoughts at the moment. I am sure that, wherever they are, they will be saying thank you to you.

Wiltshire: - Registers of Marriages, 1561-1812
Thomas Lambert, esquire. Delivered into Court 9th May, 20 Charles 1st [1644].
Marriages at Mere, 1561 to 1812.
Volume 2.
William Ford & Mary Harding, both of M. 27 May 1715

SpanishEyes

SpanishEyes Report 25 Jan 2009 07:51

Hello Astra

Thank you for all the information, the speed with which you are able to gather this info amazes me. Maybe I need to have aprinted list of where to search for different records, or take some of those on line courses.
With regards to your kind comments re my fathers Ancestry sadly it came to late for him as he dies 12 years ago and my mother died 3 yrs ago yesterday, they were both of a food age and were unwell. However no matter what age you are it is always sad. I simply new that if my father had been here he would have been overjoyed and that is the award of keeping at the research.

Kind regards

Bridget

Craig

Craig Report 19 Dec 2022 00:55

Hi Bridget
I have just been reading thru old queries and noticed your one regarding EDITH FORD b.1729.
I actually have a hand drawn family tree done in 2001.
Edith 1729-1801 married John Toogood 1729-1823 Owner of Whitehall Farm.
They had 5 children, Thomas, William, Edith, Mary and Joseph all Bap in Mere, Wiltshire.
Plus many more descendants.
I believe John's father was called Thomas, still have to prove that.
My name is spelt Towgood pronounced as Toogood.
The spelling on my family tree changed all the time over the years.
If I'm right contact me as I am interested in connecting John to what I have.

Craig Towgood
NZ

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Dec 2022 09:02

Hello Craig

Adding to very old posts is unlikely to be productive
Click on the poster’s name and send a message about which the poster will be notified by GR if her e-mail hasn’t changed in all the intervening years

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Dec 2022 10:54

A tree on Ancestry has Thomas as John's father - but with no proof, as far as I can see.

Although there doesn't seem to be a online baptism record for John, there are baptisms for several other Toogood /Toogood children around the right time in Mere.

Their father was Martin Twogood/other spelling.
Of course there's also no proof that Martin was John's father.

Edward, 18 Sept 1721
James, 25 April 1723.
Martha, 15 Sept 1725.
Hary (sic) baptised 7 May 1727. [This is probably a mistranscription of the one below.]
Harry, 7 May 1728. [died 1740]
Anne, 11 Nov 1730
William, 17 Nov 1732.
Lucy, 18 Dec 1733.
Martin, 26 Oct 1739 [died 1741 ]
Harry, 1 March 1741 [ Died 1813, buried Mere ]

Martinus Toogood
 in the Wiltshire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812
Name: Martinus Toogood [ of Mere ]
Event Type: Marriage
Marriage or Bann Date: 8 Nov 1720
Marriage or Bann Place: Stockton, Wiltshire, England
Spouse: Martha Coleborn [ of Stockton ]

Another tree on Ancestry has Thomas as John's father - but gives a 1741 baptism of a child named Thomas as "proof".

EDIT:
Apologies - I'm burbling, and will stop now.

There were clearly at least two Twogood families in Mere at the time - Martin and family, and Thomas and family.
But no proof of which one John belonged to.

Craig

Craig Report 20 Dec 2022 00:14

Hi ArgyllGran
Thanks for that, I have all that data that you mentioned.
The paper drawn tree I have is from a Toogood researcher in Banstead, England who passed away a few years ago. I have many tree's covering a lot of areas in the UK on different Too/Tow/Twogood family's a few are connected to my own tree.
I have to prove the connection but I believe that John Toogood 1729 that married Edith Ford is a son of Thomas Toogood 1701/2 died 12.4.1763.
Thomas 1701/2 is a son of Christopher Toogood 22.10.1658, probate 1729 who married c 1658 Jane/Jone.
Martin Toogood c1698 marrried ?? c 1720 is also a son of Christopher.
The children I have of Christopher are William 1688, Joane 1689, Honour 1693, Jane 1697, Elizabeth 1703 and of course Thomas 1701/2, Martin 1698
The families of John, Martin and Thomas are not drawn on the paper tree as being connected, that is what I have tried to do over the years.

I hope you can get all that.

Craig Towgood
NZ

Craig

Craig Report 20 Dec 2022 00:32

Hi ArgyllGran
You wouldn't believe it but I have just this very hour been contacted by an old old contact from years ago and he has confirmed what I believed.
The mentioned John, Martin and Thomas are all connected to William Toogood 1543 who married Alice Pearman in Mere, Wiltshire.
William is at the top of the paper tree that I have, now I connect them all up to each other.
Unbelievable !!!!!!!

Craig

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 Dec 2022 09:36

Congratulations, Craig!

Going so far back, when records are often non-existent, and where they do exist they have very little detail, it can be impossible to prove how people are related, especially when there is more than one family with the same name in one village.