Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

An Update On My Search For Gardner's

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Keith

Keith Report 9 Jun 2008 14:03

My first attempt on here was on (10th April 2007)

So, this is again for any of you Gardner's with possible links back to the North-East of England. (Especially from a background of (coal mining?) in the local areas and regions of Durham (Moorsley & West Rainton, Hetton, Houghton), as well as near the Gateshead or Heworth area of the Felling.)

I'm almost at the end of 2 years searching now - and so far nothing much - (except for 1 Felling and 1 USA hit have come to light at all to help me (Felling one via Hot Matches, the USA one through a lucky Google long shot!) - so i thought that i'd better give this way another go and see if i'll be any luckier . . .

I have now managed to go as far back as the 1790's, and it has been very difficult before the 1880's in really gaining any previous knowledge . . . Although everything still seems to be happening around the (Low Moorsley) area of Durham back then. Births, Baptisms and Marriages most of all)

So, from some finally found marriage certificates - we now begin with a Robert Gardner (its spelling noted down then as Gardiner, born approx c1791 (somewhere) in the UK or other. His wife is still totally unknown - and both he and she could likewise have had brothers and sisters?

His son, John (Gardiner), born c1818, married a Mary Howe c1821 on July 6th 1839. (This info is from the found marriage certificate) As is maybe a William as a possible brother or cousin on John's side due to him being named at wedding on certificate . . . (Likely as his best man/witness)

John & Mary (Gardner) then had 10 children - James 1941, Joseph & James 1844, Mary 1846, Isabella 1850, Elizabeth 1852, John 1853, John 1855, Robert 1857, Jane 1863.

The only data i have found so far from this era - is that of Joseph (above) - (who was my own G-Grandfather). And of youngest daughter (My G-G Aunt) and child, Jane, who as far as i can tell married a William Wright from Dowlias, Merthy Tydfil Wales, and that they only had 1 daughter named Elizabeth, who was married in Washington UK to a Robert Bolam, and they then emigrated to the US in the 1920's. Isabella, (also a G-G Aunt), married a Joseph Wanless and were seemingly childless - but brought up my own grandfather. (as stated in census reports from 1881-1901) - Probably when Joseph's first wife Elizabeth died . . . may have been at birth or just after it? (not sure)

I am as yet waiting for word back from a recently found relation in Felling about the other missing (at the moment) children of Joseph & Elizabeth (possibly nee Thompson, and from Trimdon), born approx c1847-8. And also his 2nd wife Isabella (Howe) born c1860, Low Moorsley.

But as for the other 7 also named above children of John & Mary Gardner . . . there has so far been no clues or signs of where any of them may have got to - either here in the North-east, or anywhere else in the UK - or abroad if they may have emigrated?

And so, at this moment in time - i am hoping that someone may just be trying to find out something about their own great-grandparents quite soon. And that any of the above names, or that the the place that they were born may just ring the right bell with them. (Or what they may know about them upto now?)

Which is likely to be in the areas of Low Moorsley, Moorsley, West Rainton, Hetton-le-Hole, or Houghton-le-Spring . . . (All situated in the Durham area).

Thank you to anyone out there if any help could at all be forthcoming in aid of helping me out. And my fingers are crossed all over once again right now that a match-up may just happen . . .

Regards,

Keith Gardner

Keith

Keith Report 11 Jun 2008 16:28

Yes it is Tania, and many thanks for finding this census for me, and also for yet another census report for me which you also sent too, regarding some of my earlier descendants . . .

Although, I am still hoping that an actual family member of some of them may yet come forward after reading the information which I have placed on this board if they do a search themselves!

I give thanks, and offer my regards to all who may be able to help with these lost relations . . .

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 11 Jun 2008 16:46

Keith i take it you have the death information for those children who's names were later duplicated?

Tracey

doryth

doryth Report 11 Jun 2008 21:03

I have a Catherine gardiner (gardner) married my Grandfather Andrew in 1849. North east of England .Believe har father was called James.

Sally

Sally Report 3 Jan 2009 16:12

Hi Keith,
I am searching for Gardners as well, I got a Hot Match with Annie b.1892 and was offered a link
with Irene's tree, but her person was born in Hetton le Hole? Could be good for you?
My lot are Samuel b.1853 marries Martha Kinsey b.1858, their children were: Martha, Reginald, Annie, George, Hannah, Samuel, Mary and Alfred, they were famers and miners, based in Bitterley,
Shropshire and various districts, then some moved to Merthyr Tydfil, in South Wales and to Pontypridd, where my grandmother Martha lived, she married George Davies, but I've discovered her brother George married Margaret Jones and lived with 5 miles, without my grandmother knowing?
Please reply if this links up in anyway.
Happy New Year,
Sally

Mary

Mary Report 5 Jan 2009 06:35

hi keith my name is mary i am married to stewart gardner information that i have about his family is robert martin gardner married sarah fitzwater in 18 64 in australia robert was born in perthshire his fathers name was james and his mothers emily maiden name kennedy regards mary