Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stanley Malcolm Robert Gardner - Update

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 7 Sep 2008 11:48

I am trying to find out about my gg uncle Stanley Gardner (referred to in his WW1 papers by his middle name - Malcolm)
Born Q3 1888 in Oxford, married Priscilla Shepherd in 1909.
He was called into service in 1915, and from the faint handwriting on the document I found on ancestry he was discharged in 1918 - so luckily not a casualty of war.
Except this is where the trail goes cold.
One of the documents for separation allowance says that his wife moved to 62 Osbourne Road in Leicester, but their are more than one of these, and the dates arent clear so I cant tell if she moved and came back, or stayed in Leicester.
I cant find a trace of them in either Leicester nor Oxford at the moment.

There are no children listed on his sign up sheet.

Karen

Karen Report 7 Sep 2008 13:22

Just found something that confuses things even more - in 1947 he was the informant of his mothers death, and the address supplied for him was the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford. ???????

Karen

Karen Report 7 Sep 2008 13:45

Thanks Barbara, will do that.

Karen

Karen Report 8 Sep 2008 16:27

I have heard back from the museum - very impressed with the response.
He worked there for 48 years from 1913 (spent some time serving in the war) until retiring in 1961 at the tender age of 73.
Now just have to discover if he had any children.
At least lets me know that he didnt move to Leicester, although doesnt solve the mystery of why his wife moved there temporarily.