Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing death.....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 9 Sep 2008 15:06

Afternoon all,
I hate to admit defeat, but I need help.

I am trying to find the death of Stanley Malcolm Robert Gardner.
He was born 1888 (Q3) in Oxford. Was still alive in 1961 when he retired from employment (still in Oxford).

I have hunted variations in spelling of surname, but still cant find. I think I may go insane!

Please help!

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this.

Karen

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 9 Sep 2008 15:10

Which qtrs and which years have you looked at?

Karen

Karen Report 9 Sep 2008 15:35

Have looked at all quarters for at least 10 years after 1961.

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 9 Sep 2008 15:36

He could have lived until the 1980's..............

Karen

Karen Report 9 Sep 2008 15:39

Checked until 1983 on the correct spelling of his surname, but no joy.
I dont know if I have missed it in my haste.
(Even searched on the 1984- 2005 bmd on ancestry).
Surely he cant still be alive! That would make him 120!!

Artbeat

Artbeat Report 9 Sep 2008 15:48

karen i,ve just checked all years from 1961 with no joy.
I can only suggest you try GARDINER.

richard.

Karen

Karen Report 9 Sep 2008 15:54

I think I am up to 1974 on GARDNER, GARDINER and GARDENER.

I have a photograph of his wifes grave, and she is buried alone - I know that doesnt give anything away / or necessarilly mean anything.

Karen

Karen Report 9 Sep 2008 15:54

Have done 1961 - 2005 for GARDNER

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 9 Sep 2008 16:01

Perhaps he didn't die in England/Wales

Karen

Karen Report 9 Sep 2008 16:14

oh no! i didnt even think of that!
how would i even begin to look at that as a possibility? where would i start?

not even got around to looking for any children for him yet... was hoping to find his death, and then contact the local paper etc for any death notices to give me a clue about his family.

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 9 Sep 2008 16:20

As you have his wife's name, wouldn't it be better to start from the marriage.........and look for possible children on bmd?

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 9 Sep 2008 16:22

Name: Stanley Malcolm R Gardner
Year of Registration: 1909
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Headington
County: Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire
Volume: 3a
Page: 1851
Ellen Mary Cullimore
Priscilla Shepherd

Karen

Karen Report 9 Sep 2008 16:23

Might have to resort to it.....
I know that (according to his sign up papers) they didnt have any children prior to 1st Feb 1915.

David

David Report 10 Sep 2008 09:56

Hi Karen,
Have you found his wife's death? If you get her cert it might give you a clue if either her husband or possibly a relative registered her death.There should be an address for the informant which may help you trace a family member who may perhaps be alive today.Also having the Gardiner surname myself I have found distant relatives through my research with the Gardner version! Also the Gardener spelling though have'nt found any living ones with that one so far!

Good luck!

David.

Karen

Karen Report 10 Sep 2008 10:05

Morning David,
Thanks, I am going to order the certificate today I think. I have emailed the cemeteries department this morning to find out more also, as this always tells you alot more than the death certificate does - other family members etc etc.

I cant believe how much this is frustrating me because I cant find him!
It would be such a shame too if he doesnt have any living descendants - so far, he is looking like a great character - survived the war (and being wounded and hospitalised), and worked for 48 years until he was well into his 70's.

David

David Report 11 Sep 2008 08:46

Hi Karen,
I've just had a look at another family tree site which I am a member of and guess what? I've found Stanley Gardner for you! There is a member on that site who has him as a relative along with his wife.The member's surname is Gardner so must be a direct relative of his!! Do you want me to contact her for you and put you both in touch via email? Hope you haven't ordered the certs as I don't think you will need them!
Bye for now,
David
ps do you have a direct contact address on this site/an ancestors name I could click on to as if I pass on an email address i would do it via there.rather than by this method.

Karen

Karen Report 11 Sep 2008 09:48

Hi David,
Replied to your PM. Think it may be me as you thought, but will check it out to make sure.

Karen

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Sep 2008 09:50

David
If you click on Karen's name on one of her postings on this thread ( shown in blue) that will send a message direct to her and will be for her to view only in her private mail, not on these message boards.

Gwyn

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Sep 2008 09:52

Ah.... I see David has sorted the pm system...

Karen

Karen Report 11 Sep 2008 10:08

Arrgghh! More mystery! Just heard back from the cemetaries department.
No information regarding the funeral. BUT, the grave was purchased by someone else in the family - a George Digweed, who, I believe (cant access my tree at work) is Stanleys brothers nieces husband... I think....
What is going on ?!?!?!? lol

Karen