Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Still Trying - Stanley Gardner

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 13 Sep 2008 13:47

Afternoon all, sorry to post another thread about this, but I have some more information, and am still struggling.
I wandered if I put all I know in one thread, some fresh eyes / ideas may help.

25/8/1888, born in Bradwell Oxfordshire to parents William and Martha (nee Large) - have certificate.
Was living with parents on both 1891 & 1901 census - first in Aldsworth, and then Oxford
25/12/1909, married Priscilla Shepherd in Oxford - certificate is on order.
1913, started employment with the Ashmolean Museum - have been in contact, and have been given all the information they have.
1/2/1915, enlisted into Royal Field Artillery - have service receords from ancestry. (for a short period his wife went to Leicester - poss to stay with relatives?) - no children listed when signed up.
1919, left service and returned to working for the museum.
11/10/1947, was the informant of his mothers death. His address was supplied as the museum, so took a residential post at some point after returning from the war.
4/3/1961, retired after 48 years of employment.
5/1/1968, priscilla passed away. I have contacted the cemeteries dept, and they dont have the specifics of her funeral, but she is in a double grave on her own (???), which was purchased by Stanleys brothers nieces husband (hope that makes sense - had to draw it to figure it out myself) - I have her death certificate on order to see who registered her death. Have seen grave, and inscription doesnt tell me anything.

At last contact with a relative, the man in question who purchased the grave was still alive, so I need to attempt to make contact with him.
I have checked all deaths from 1961 - 2005 in England and Wales for Gardner, Gardiner and Gardener, and no sign of Stanley. - cannot still be alive - would be 120!!!

My plans for my next steps are:
Contact the man who purchased the grave for priscilla.
Scour the newspapers for more information (a few days in the library...)
see what the certificates have to tell me.
Look for any births for children.
Consider the possibility that he emigrated - but where, and where to start?

Any ideas on what else to do etc etc, would be really helpful, as I am determined to find out what became of Stanley, and Im not about to give up

Thank you.

Karen

Karen Report 13 Sep 2008 16:47

n

Karen

Karen Report 13 Sep 2008 17:37

Hi Christine,
Good idea, thank you, will keep that in mind.
At this stage (hopefully will be cleared up when her death cert arrives) I have no idea where they lived after Stanley retired from the museum. I wander if they moved back to the same house? If they owned it? Sold it?

I seem to be creating more questions than finding answers! lol

Karen