Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gardner

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vivien

Vivien Report 20 Apr 2009 16:05

I'm loking for a Sylvia Jean Gardner born circa 1934 died in August 2002. Her married name was Delve and died in Plymouth but i am not sure if she was born in Liverpool. She had children Kevin, Brad, Lillian and Robert. Any help would be great as i'm looking for her mother.

Heather

Heather Report 20 Apr 2009 16:06

Have you bought her marriage cert for her fathers name and occupation?

Have you found her death which should be a reasonable birth date to work to?

Is this the one?

Name: Sylvia Jean Delve
Birth Date: 2 Dec 1934
Death Registration Month/Year: Aug 2002
Age at death (estimated): 67
Registration district: Plymouth
Inferred County: Devon
Register number: B68A
District and Subdistrict: 4161B
Entry Number: 105

JenW

JenW Report 20 Apr 2009 16:09

Birthdate was 2nd December 1934

England & Wales, Death Index: 1984-2005
about Sylvia Jean Delve
Name: Sylvia Jean Delve
Birth Date: 2 Dec 1934
Death Registration Month/Year: Aug 2002
Age at death (estimated): 67
Registration district: Plymouth
Inferred County: Devon
Register number: B68A
District and Subdistrict: 4161B
Entry Number: 105

Heather

Heather Report 20 Apr 2009 16:14

Hmm, I wonder how accurate that birth year is?

Why do you think she was born Liverpool? (Theres a Sylvia J Gardner in Totnes who would fit quite well)

JenW

JenW Report 20 Apr 2009 16:18

Dont know for sure but i'd say this could be a posibility

England & Wales, Birth Index: 1916-2005
about Sylvia J Gardner
Name: Sylvia J Gardner
Mother's Maiden Surname: Tribble
Date of Registration: Jan Feb Mar 1935
Registration district: Totnes
Registration county: Devon/Cornwall/Seilly
Volume Number: 5b
Page Number: 202 (click to see others on page)

JenW

JenW Report 20 Apr 2009 16:19

haha heather, we seem to be coming up with the same answers

Vivien

Vivien Report 20 Apr 2009 16:20

I'm not sure...i know that Lillian was born in Liverpool...her daughter. Maybe Totnes would fit!!! Who knows...because it's my husbands side i'm not too certain on family history...unfortunately that side of the family do not know too much either!

Heather

Heather Report 20 Apr 2009 16:21

Thing is there is a Sylvia J Liverpool but 3 years younger.

It all rather depends on who registered the death and how well they knew her age.

Hmm always the same with OH's side, they arent that interested and dont seem to have had as much communication with their family. When I first started out, I asked my OH what his grandmothers name was, after a bit of thinking, he said "Fat granny" -

Perhaps the marriage cert would help.

:) Jen (I cant get used to the name transcribed births on ancestry)

JenW

JenW Report 20 Apr 2009 16:25

the marriage cert would definitely help. if the totnes one is her then perhaps this is her parents

Marriages Mar 1931 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gardner Walter J Tribble Totnes 5b 283
Tribble Lucy L M Gardner Totnes 5b 283

(I got a little carried away)

Vivien

Vivien Report 20 Apr 2009 16:37

Thanks so much, from what i can gather she was born in Totnes i got her and my mother in law a bit mixed up!!!

Heather

Heather Report 20 Apr 2009 16:51

Well, never take memories as gospel!

Jen has kindly pointed out looks like mum was a Tribble.

Vivien

Vivien Report 20 Apr 2009 16:52

i was just wondering how do i reserach into the family now i have found out their names?!!! ah...it's all still a bit new to me x

Heather

Heather Report 21 Apr 2009 15:53

Oh right :) Well, if you want to research her - first you buy that birth cert listed and also the marriage cert. You have got the GRO references there.

Name: Sylvia J Gardner
Mother's Maiden Surname: Tribble
Date of Registration: Jan Feb Mar 1935
Registration district: Totnes
Registration county: Devon/Cornwall/Scilly
Volume Number: 5b
Page Number: 202

It seems VERY likely the following is her parents marrying but without getting her birth cert you cant be certain. It could be another couple marrying with same surnames - unless you know her parents first names??

Marriages Mar 1931
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gardner Walter J Tribble Totnes 5b 283
Tribble Lucy L M Gardner Totnes 5b 283

You go to GRO online (never anywhere else as there are some sites who will charge up to £50 a cert) and you use those references to buy the certificates. Make sure you tick the box which asks if you have the GRO ref (you do have it, as on this thread) then follow through answering the questions using the reference given. Pay by card £7, you should get the cert in under a week at the moment.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Get the birth cert first so you can be sure you have the right parents before you buy the marriage cert.

On the birth cert you will have her place of birth, her fathers name and occupation and her mothers maiden name. Using those names you go backwards to find their marriage - which is hopefully that one Jen gave you on this thread - you use freebmd.org to find bmd.

From that marriage cert you will have - hopefully - both bride and grooms ages, occupations, their places of residence, both fathers names and occupations and the names of the witnesses. From that you should be able to find them in the 1901 census and then work backwards through certs and census info. If they were born after the 1901 - you could try the 1911 but thats quite expensive to view as its only just come out. You could also look for their birth certs and buy those for their parents names and work backwards.

Read the Absolute Basics thread, Ill bump it up for you.

Take it you have already used the search trees tab to see if this lady is on someone elses tree?