Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Robert B Gardner

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julia

Julia Report 9 Aug 2010 15:32

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help? I am trying to find the ancestors of my husbands grandfather, born 1885 in Hartlepool. I have census entries from 1891 and 1901 where his father, Robert S was born in Scotland.c 1860 I am unsure where he was born in Scotland, and his parentage as I have been given conflicting info from 2 different people. I would be greatful for any help.
Julie

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Aug 2010 15:40

1881 - connected?
James GARDINER Head M Male 29 Middlesbro, York, England Butcher
Hannah GARDINER Wife M Female 26 Hartlepool, Durham, England
John J. GARDINER Son Male 3 Hartlepool, Durham, England
Robert W. GARDINER Son Male 1 Hartlepool, Durham, England
Emily TUCKER Sister In Law Female 13 Wiston, York, England Scholar
William SANDERSON Apprentice Male 18 Stockton, Durham, England Butchers Apprentice
Isabel MC ARTHUR Serv U Female 19 Scotland General Serv

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling 44 Northgate
Census Place Hartlepool, Durham, England
Family History Library Film 1342180
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 4908 / 58
Page Number 26

Julia

Julia Report 9 Aug 2010 16:01

I don't think this is the correct Gardner as I know for a fact that it was Robert Beckett Gardner (Gardener in the 1891 census) Please note i made a typo error in my original thread. Robert B was born in 1885 not 65 but I have now corrected it.

patchem

patchem Report 9 Aug 2010 17:39

Just for backround:
1901 England Census
Robert S Gardner
Spouse's name: Maria gender: Male Where born: Scotland Civil parish: Byker Ecclesiastical parish: St Michael Town: Newcastle Upon Tyne County/Island: Northumberland Country: England
Street Address: 76 Bond Street Occupation: iron and steel ship plater
Registration district: Newcastle upon Tyne Sub-registration district: Byker ED, institution, or vessel: 31 Household schedule number: 153
Robert S Gardner 41
Maria Gardner 39 Blyth Northumberland
Robert B Gardner 16 [Hartlepool East, Durham, England]
Herbert Gardner 15
William Gardner 14
Charles Gardner 11
Dora Gardner 7
Esther Gardner 5 Walker On Tyne, Northumberland
Margaret Gardner 4
May Gardner 2 Gateshead, Durham
Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 4792; Folio: 17; Page: 26.

Have you got Robert and Maria's marriage certificate for names of fathers?

patchem

patchem Report 9 Aug 2010 17:44

This Robert??:
1881 England Census
Robert Gardner Age: 21 Estimated birth year: abt 1860 Relation: Son Father's Name: Robert Mother's Name: Sarah Gender: Male Where born: Scotland Civil parish: Stockton On Tees County/Island: Durham Country: England Street Address: 117 Tilery Road occupation: Laborer Registration district: Stockton Sub-registration district: Stockton ED, institution, or vessel: 28
Robert Gardner 61 Ireland
Sarah Gardner 62 Ireland
Robert Gardner 21 Scotland
George Thompson 10 visitor
Frances Thompson 6 visitor
Rachael Self 29 visitor
John Self 39 visitor
Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 4896; Folio: 158; Page: 48; GSU roll: 1342178.

Julia

Julia Report 11 Aug 2010 16:52

Thanks for replying Pauline,

I'm unsure if this 1881 census record is the correct family or not. It is the one that I found but have since had contact with someone who said that Robert S' father was called James and his mother Jean and they came fron Dundee. I have found this family on the Scottish census and they did have a son Robert born 1860 but I have been unable to locate the Scottish BMD records to check on a birth record to see if he was Robert S.
I have also not got a marriage certificate for Robert and Maria yet as I live in Australia and have only recently discovered them as Robert Becketts parents. I will ask my sister in England to send away for it for me as soon as I can.

Julia

mgnv

mgnv Report 11 Aug 2010 20:00

Marriages Jun 1883 (>99%)
Beckett Maria Hartlepool 10a 212
Gardner Robert Hartlepool 10a 212

You can order this online thru the GRO. The price includes postage world-wide. Your credit card will get billed 9.25 GBP, and Visa or whoever will convert it to $A at a mildly unfavourable rate.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

I presume this is Robt B:

Births Sep 1884 (>99%)
GARDNER Robert Hartlepool 10a 165

One wonders if S stands for Robt S's mum's MS too.

judith

judith Report 3 Mar 2011 12:41

Hi Julia - did Robert B have a father Robert S who married Maria Beckett in 1883 - they had 8 children Robert B (1885), William (1887), May (1899), Herbert (1886), Margaret (1897) Esther (1896), Dora (1894), Charles (1890).
The 1911 census shows Maria living as a visitor with a family called Christie and that the four boys were still living but the girls were shown as dead.
Esther was my Grandmother - if you think this family are the ones please get in touch.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 4 Mar 2011 14:38

Hello Judith,

You have replied to an old thread here and Julia may not be checking for more replies. You can click on her name and send your message that way. If she still has the same email address, she will be notified.

If you would like help with your research, then why not start a thread of your own? Take a look at the Help Centre -above left-for further info.

Don't forget to put the names you are researching into the Search Trees box above to see if anyone else on this site has them in their tree. If you find a connection, you can contact the tree owner. Cx