Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gardner/Gardiner Isle of Wight

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dianasaurus

Dianasaurus Report 30 May 2009 23:42

I was wondering if anyone could help me with info on the family of Richard Gardner b/ c1775 (date taken from 1851 census) Newport, Isle of Wight, Hampshire, England.
Richard Gardner was the father of Eliza Gardner/Gardiner b/c1821, Hampshire, IOW, who married John Oliver Smith b/c1819, Newport, Hampshire, IOW (he was a painter) (info from their marriage cert.)
They had 3 children that I know about:
Albert Smith b/ 1846 Ryde or Binstead, Hampshire, IOW (baptised Albert Gardiner, must have been born before they were married the same year)
Alice Smith b/ 1848 Ryde or Binstead, Hampshire, IOW
Louisa Smith b/ 1850 Binstead, Hampshire, IOW.

Louisa Smith was my gggrandmother who emigrated to Napier, NZ sometime before 1870 because she married William Mayo in Napier in 1870.
I know about Louisa after she came to NZ but have no info on her family, parents ,grandparents in England.
It appears that her sister Alice Smith also emigrated to NZ & married Charles Harmer in Wairoa, Hawkes Bay, NZ in 1865
She died in 1874 in Wairoa.
I don't know what happened to Albert Smith or his parents Eliza Gardner & John Oliver Smith (or who John's parents were).
I came across a record for the death of an Eliza Smith on the Isle of Wight in 1853 which could be her as there is another record which shows John Oliver Smith married again in 1855 to Abigail Dunn (on the Isle of Wight)
Also I have no idea what happened to Richard Gardner or who his wife was.
Any help would be really appreciated!!!!
D

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 31 May 2009 17:56

n

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 31 May 2009 17:59

Try this site:

http://www.isle-of-wight-fhs.co.uk/bmd/startbmd.htm

Eliza Smith's age was 33 when she died 1853 so it matches.

GillianMac

GillianMac Report 31 May 2009 18:46

In 1861 Albert (b Binstead IOW) is apprentice in Newchurch IOW to Edward Spanner (Tailor)
Cant find him 1871 but by 1881 he is in the Royal Navy as Cook 2 C I and shows himself as marrried (Vessel "Flying Fish " but thus far I cant find him with a wife in any census and being in the Navy he could havemarrried anywhere

GillianMac

GillianMac Report 31 May 2009 19:15

John Oliver Smith baptised Newport St Marys 15/4/1818 son of John and Mary (sorry they are not making it easier for you by having unusual names!!!)

Dianasaurus

Dianasaurus Report 1 Jun 2009 02:43

Thanks for the info, I know Smith is a great one to research!!!
Does anyone know of where else I could look for info on Richard Gardner, his birthdate, marriage etc.( I've already had a look at the IOW family history site.)
many thanks & any help much appreciated!!!

Dianasaurus

Dianasaurus Report 3 Jun 2009 00:42

n