Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Richard Gibb

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Richard

Richard Report 2 Mar 2007 16:53

The names Gibb/Gibbs/Gibbes all come from the same root. The origianal family lines go back to the conquest. The main family lines are Kent, Devon and Warwickshire. The Scottish Gibb family only go back to 1460. Dorset Gibb/s are decended from Warwishire Gibb/s not Devon though as time passes the lines mix and cross in the Southern Counties of England.

More info? contact me on Sambukai at aol.co.uk

Pam

Pam Report 26 Jan 2008 11:33

Hi Richard,

I am new to this game and have just joined Genes reunited late last year (2007).

My father's grand father was Henry Gibbs, born 1865 in Portland Dorset. His grandmother was Polly Andrews Gibbs nee Sansom, probably also of Portland, Dorset. Born in 1869.

I think I have a trace back to Thomas Gibbs, born 1740 who may have married a Jenny, possibly Jenny Comben in 1763.

The family history stories claimed that the family originated in Warwickshire and maybe also there was a French connection. Do you have any suggestion for places to search to validate any of these claims?

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 30 Jan 2008 20:20

Hi Richard
My mothers family are GIBBS and there seems to be hundreds of them from Deddington, Oxon and surrounding area. Are these part of the Warwickshire clan do you think?
Regards
Liz

Diane

Diane Report 30 Jan 2008 20:39

Hi Richard,
I have Sarah Gibbs 1785 who married George Mills .He was the parish clerk of Meriden in Warwickshire.Both George and Sarah were born in Hampton in Arden,Warwickshire.
They were my gt gt gt grandparents.Daniel,their son,who was a railway engine driver and my gt gt grandad,was born in Hampton in Arden as well.
Any connection?
regards Diane

Derek

Derek Report 4 Apr 2008 19:53

Hi,
I have John Gibbs B Abt.1647 at Warwick & his daughter Anne b 1668 at Great Bourton.

Ann

Ann Report 1 Sep 2011 09:44

Hi

I am looking for Alstonefield Gibbs in the 17th century. Anyone help??????????????????