Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Hartley Cumbrian Farmer

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

macpark

macpark Report 21 Sep 2008 15:59

Thanks to a lot of help from Shirley, and some input from a family member I had never met, I have now traced my biological father's family back to 1806.

I now know that John Hartley who was born in 1927 and d.1984 fathered two daughters out of wedlock in 1955 & 1960. He was married twice and had a daughter to his first wife who went back to live in Yorkshire with her daughter after the divorce, and I believe 2 sons with his 2nd wife. He is buried in St Mary's Gosforth.

I would like to know more about his wives and the children. He could have been married to the first wife when he fathered at least the first illegitimate daughter. He told the child's mother that he had been married which was why he abandoned her but came back for her 5 years later telling her he was now divorced and free to marry her. When she discovered she was expecting the 2nd child, he disappeared again and left her with a second illegitimate daughter. They never married and sadly neither daughter ever met him before he died.