Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Angell Hartley

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 3 May 2009 17:10

Hi all,

My Gran mentioned to me recently that she and her siblings have often wondered about a mysterious grave next to their Mother's.

My Great Gran Kathleen Bryant (later Edwards) died on 14/09/1985 in Ascot and she was buried in Swyre, Dorset where she grew up. Her grave was place at the foot of the double grave of her parents.

Some time later, a grave was placed next to hers, which is curious because it was spaced as if related to the family, rather than being in its own place. Also curious, is that the date of death of this person was 1983, meaning he must have been moved there some time after his death as he was not there in 1985.

His name was John Angell Hartley 1905-1983. I have done some digging and I have found the following already:

Birth:
Name: John Angell Hartley
Year of Registration: 1905
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Hendon (1837-1947)
County: Middlesex
Volume: 3a
Page: 253

Death:
London, England, Death Notices from The Times, 1982-1988
about John Angell Cbe Hartley
Name: John Angell Cbe Hartley
Birth Year: 1906
Death Date: 4 Jul 1983
Published Date: 8 Jul 1983
Spouse's name: Jocelyn Hartley

1911 Census:

HARTLEY, JAMES HOWDEN
HEAD
MARRIED
TEA DEALER WHOLESALE
DORCHESTER DORSETSHIRE
HARTLEY, ETHEL MARY
WIFE
MARRIED
GLOUCESTERSHIRE NAILSWORTH
HARTLEY, GEORGE ARNOLD
SON
SINGLE
FORESTY STUDENT
MIDDLESEX ALDGATE
HARTLEY, ROGER JAMES
SON
SINGLE
ASSISTANT AT THE MERCHANT
LONDON OLD TOWER
HARTLEY, ETHEL HURT
DAUGHTER
SCHOOL
GLOUCESTERSHIRE NAILSWORTH
HARTLEY, JOHN ANGELL
SON
MIDDLESEX EDGWARE
MATHESON, JAMES FRANCIS VISITOR
MARRIED
INSURANCE BROKER
LONDON CANONBURY

HARTLEY JOHN ANGELL (RG14PN7098 RG78PN348 RD130 SD2 ED1 SN70)
Address HIGH ST ELSTREE HERTFORDSHIRE County Middlesex
District Hendon Subdistrict Edgware
Enumeration District 1 Parish

UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
Name: John Angell Hartley
Birth Date: abt 1906
Port of Departure: Rangoon, Burma
Arrival Date: 8 Jun 1932
Port of Arrival: London, England
Ports of Voyage: Port Sudan, Port Said, Marseilles, Gibraltar
Ship Name: Pegu
Search Ship Database: View the 'Pegu' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: Henderson Line
Official Number: 144260

CBE Awards:
SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, UTH JUNE 1959

To be Ordinary Commanders of the Civil
Division of the said Most Excellent Order :

John Angell HARTLEY, Esq., Director of Educa-
tion, Aden
(Not sure what this means he was doing to get a CBE)

The main reason why my Gran was interested in this is that she and her sister found pictures of their mother in her youth with a man who wasn't their father, and they always suspected she had been in love with another man despite marrying their father.

This Hartley fellow is interesting in that he was clearly a Londoner, but some time after his death was buried in a tiny village church in Dorset. Why? What exactly was his CBE for?

I also can't find his marriage record to Jocelyn, and I was hoping there may have been descendants whom I can contact about his link with Swyre.

If anyone has any ideas or can find any more about him, I would appreciate it :)

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 3 May 2009 17:17

Have you asked the Cemetery about the grave? They might be able to give you some info.

Sarah

Sarah Report 3 May 2009 22:31

I have sent an email to the Online Parish Clerk for Swyre via http://www.opcdorset.com/SwyreFiles/Swyre.htm but would still love to hear if anyone has anything thoughts.

David

David Report 29 Jun 2009 13:29

Hi,

John Angell Hartley was my grandfather. His three children, including my mother, are all alive and well, and mum can answer some of your questions

David Clark