Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Samuel or Joseph Hartley

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pamela

Pamela Report 4 Oct 2010 15:20

My father was adopted but was born I think in either Skipton or Halifax in September 1920. His birth mother was called Gladys Hartley or so I'm told and he was adopted by her brother Horace who was married to Maria Bownes. They lived in Sheffield. Does anyone know anything about my father, his birth mother or his adoptive parents

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Oct 2010 15:26

Is this your father's birth:-

Name: Joseph T Hartley
Mother's Maiden Surname: Hartley
Date of Registration: Jul Aug Sep 1920
Registration district: Skipton
Registration county: Yorkshire
Volume Number: 9a
Page Number: 87

If you buy this certificate you will be certain of his mother's full name.

I wonder if the middle initial "T" in his name has been mis-transcribed as a "T" instead of an "S" (for Samuel) as in old fashioned writing a "T" and an "S" can sometimes look similar.

Kath. x

Travelman

Travelman Report 4 Oct 2010 15:27

This looks like his birth - easy to find on FreeBMD

Births Sep 1920 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hartley Joseph T Hartley Skipton 9a 87

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Oct 2010 15:28

This is Horace's marriage:-

Name: Horace Hartley
Spouse: Maria Bownes
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1921
Registration district: Sheffield
Registration county (inferred): Yorkshire - West Riding
Volume Number: 9c
Page Number: 1403

This certificate would give you Horace's father's name.

Kath. x

Travelman

Travelman Report 4 Oct 2010 15:33

1901 Census with Gladys and Horace ??

Address 2 Upper Well Royd
Civil Parish Halifax
Rural District
Town or Village or Hamlet Warley
Ecclesiastical Parish Warley St John
Parliamentary Borough or Division Sowerby
County Borough, Municipal Borough or Urban District Halifax
Administrative County Yorkshire
Householder 1
Name Charlotte Ada Hartley
Relation to Head of Family Wife
Condition as to Marriage Married
Age Last Birthday 36
Sex Female
Profession or Occupation
Employment Status
Where Born Newport Salop
Language
Infirmity
Householder 2
>>>>>Name Gladys Wine Hartley
Relation to Head of Family Daughter
Condition as to Marriage Single
Age Last Birthday 12
Sex Female
Profession or Occupation
Employment Status
Where Born Yorks Halifax
Language
Infirmity
Householder 3
>>>>Name Horace Ran Hartley
Relation to Head of Family Son
Condition as to Marriage Single
Age Last Birthday 9
Sex Male
Profession or Occupation
Employment Status
Where Born Yorks Halifax
Language
Infirmity
Householder 4
Name Lovel Hartley
Relation to Head of Family Head
Condition as to Marriage Married
Age Last Birthday 36
Sex Male
Profession or Occupation Worsted Warp Dresser
Employment Status
Where Born Yorks Sowerby
Language
Infirmity

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Oct 2010 15:34

If his mother's name IS Gladys then this is a possibility for her birth:-

Name: Gladys Hartley
Year of Registration: 1898
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Sheffield
County: South Yorkshire, Yorkshire - West Riding
Volume: 9c
Page: 679

Kath. x

Mary

Mary Report 4 Oct 2010 18:18

Gladys Winnifred hartley 1889 married 1914 in halifax to Louis Joe Palmer she died 1922 in childbirth..She had John 1916 - 2004 and Joyce 1922 died 1922.
Horace Randolph hartley 1891 maybe married 1921 in halifax to Alice Summerskill,he died Halifax 1971.

These deaths would match your Horace and wife Maria.

Maria Bownes born Sheffield 15/9/1893 died Sheffield as Maria Hartley 1980.

Maria Bownes reg O/N/D 1893 Sheffield 9c 540.

Horace Hartley died Sheffield 1975 he was born 1894.

Joseph Thomas Hartley born 9/8/1920 died Worth valley 1973 2c 180 this could the one born in Skipton mum nee Hartley.
Maryb

Mary

Mary Report 4 Oct 2010 19:06

Was he born 23/9/1920 and died Sheffield 1976.
Did he marry in High Wycombe in 1947 as Samuel and died as Samuel Hartley is that correct.

Did you know him as Samuel or Joseph?

Maryb

Pamela

Pamela Report 10 Jan 2011 15:22

Hello
Doe's anyone out there know any info on the Hartley family of Sheffield. I have the names of all the children and parents but am at a brick wall re births marrages and deaths, they are as follows
Albert 1856-1913
Charlotte 1856-1926
Parents of
Frank
Albert
William
Percy
Benjamin
Horace
Alice

Dea

Dea Report 10 Jan 2011 15:30

Was the info already given of any assistance to you Pamela?

Did you get the birth cert?

Dea x

Pamela

Pamela Report 24 Dec 2011 17:16

Hello.I need help again re samuel hartley
I have his death certificate and on that it gives his birth date as 23rd September 1920. I cannot find anyone of that name in the birth register only joseph hartley. My sister has said that she has his birth date as 23rd September 1917. Is it possible for his death certificate to have the wrong birthdate bearing in mind that he was adopted. I am finding tracking him very difficult and wondered if anyone out there can shed some light on this for me. I do hope so and would be very gratefull for any info
Pam

greyghost

greyghost Report 24 Dec 2011 23:02

Pamela did you get any answers re your query of January 2011 asking for information on bmd's for the Sheffield Hartleys?

Your question re Joseph HArtleys birth date on his death certificate - the information is only as good as is known to the person registering the death, the 23rd September seems a coincidence though. Did you ever get the birth certificate that Dea asked about and was posted by Travelman?

Pamela

Pamela Report 25 Dec 2011 18:34

I found that I had the wrong family posted by travelman. I havn't sent for any birth certificates because I have been told that
a) as he was adopted this is very difficult because I might be asking for the wrong certificate.
b) As he was adopted I have to have any living relatived permission.
Do you know if this is correct ?
Any help would be gratefully recieved
Pam

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Dec 2011 14:04

If you are certain that Horace was your grandmother's brother then if I was you I would buy Horace's marriage certificate (as detailed in an earlier post) as that should give you Horace's father's name (who will also by your grandmother's father). You can then look for them in the census.

Kath. x

Pamela

Pamela Report 27 Dec 2011 17:22

Thankyou but I already know what Horaces fathers name is. What I dont know and can't find is what my fathers birth name was and who his mother was other than she was Horaces sister i think her name was Alice Hartley born 1894. After that , nothing.
Pam

Pamela

Pamela Report 3 Jan 2012 16:18

Well I was on the wrong track about my father.
It turns out he was born as Samuel Worsley in 1920 in Sheffield. I have found that he had 2 brothers , Charles born 1917 and Horace 1915 both in Sheffield. Their birth mothers name was Alice Hartley and she married Samuel Worsley in 1914 in Sheffield..She died in 1925 aged 32 .
My father was adopted by Horace and Maria Hartley. Alice Hartley was Horace Hartley's sister. I cannot find what happened to his 2 brothers. They could have been adopted as well. If Anyone out there has any advice to give to me on this it will as always be gratefully recieved
Pam

Pamela

Pamela Report 13 Jan 2012 17:13

Re Samuel Worsley born 1886. In the 1901 census he is 15 years old and listed as errent boy port. Does anyone know what that means ? Would be very interested for anyone to shed some light on this . Thanks.

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Mary

Mary Report 13 Jan 2012 18:27

Sam Worsley who married Alice hartley died 14/2/1964 in Bradford according to a tree on ancestry.
He married a Elsie Ann teal in Sheffield A/M/J 1926 9c 1213 she died 1946.
they had a boy and a girl.

Charles William Worsley son of Sam and Alice born 9/6/1917 died 10/3/1981 in Bradford.

There was a marriage for Charles William Worsley in Bradford 1945
which I can't give the details as wife may be still alive.I think they had a boy and a girl

Horace 27/4/1915 died Bradford Sept 1989.
A Horace married 1938 in North Brierley Bradford they had a son 1938

Maryb

Mary

Mary Report 13 Jan 2012 18:39

Sam Worsley born J/A/S 1891 in Ecclesall 9c 449 to Charles William Worsley 1869 - 1931 and Sarah Ann Hukin 1872 - 1961 in Bradford

They were married A/M/J 1891 9c 393.

Sam Worsley married Elsie Ann teal 1926 she was born 1897 died 1947.
Her parents were Thomas Parkinson Teal 1851 Fewston near Otley and Sarah Ann Newbold.

Thomas P Teal died 7/5/1929 and left £120 8s 5d to Elsie Ann Worsley wife of Sam Worsley.

Maryb

Mary

Mary Report 13 Jan 2012 19:11

Pamela if you google Thomas Parkinson Teal,on the first page of results go to Chapter7 owned by www.Tealfamily.co.uk

Scroll down and there is info on Thomas plus photo of Sarah Ann Teal 1897-1947.

Maryb