Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Hilton

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stella

Stella Report 6 Oct 2004 10:40

Hello, Have come to a dead end (temporarily I hope!) in looking into the Hilton branch of my family tree. Basically I am seeking information on James Hilton, who was born 30th March 1855 in Howick, near Penwortham, Preston. His mother was Jane Hilton, there is no father documented on the birth certificate. Am fascinated to know how this came about and how they might have been treated at this time if he was born out of wedlock. Would love to find some information on Jane Hilton too. James Hilton went on to marry three times I believe and produce seven children, upto 1901. He married Mary Hilton initially and lived at Cop Lane Penwortham. He had two children with her. On the 1901 census he is narried to Emma Hilton (nee Taylor, born North Newington, Oxfordshire) and lived on Penwortham Hill. He appears to have had five children then, one of which was Muriel Hilton, my great grandmother. James Hilton's occupation for most of his life was a railway signalman. Any information gratefully received. Many thanks!