Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HORTON William George 1902

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicholas

Nicholas Report 17 Oct 2007 06:56

Im looking for the parents of William George Horton born 27 feb 1902 died aug 1986. He married Rose Ellen Halford on dec 21 1929 I just cant find where he was born or any thing about his parents or siblings im really stuck and cant get anywhere. I would so pleased for any info.thanks Nick Horton.x.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Oct 2007 07:10

The ONLY way you are going to get his parents is to buy the birth certificate. A census is only a guide to who the parents may be, the certificate proves it. He was born too late for the 1901 census, and the 1911 census is not yet out.

from www.freebmd.org.uk

There are TWO possible births, you didn't say where he was born, both are slightly out based on the date you give

Where did you get that date of birth incidentally???

Births Sep 1902 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Horton William George G Canterbury 2a 944

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Dec 1902 (>99%)

HORTON William George Poplar 1c 565

Then there are these William Hortons born during the quarter you mention

Births Mar 1902 (>99%)

Horton William Wolverhampton 6b 618
Horton William Chorlton 8c 854
Horton William Wandsworth 1d 751

There are more ........ go check freebmd!

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Oct 2007 20:47

Hi Nicholas,

To reply on these boards, just scroll down until you see the blank box, then you can type your answer so everyone can see it. This helps everyone who might be helping you.

I'm going to post part of what you told me on here so that others may have some ideas. You can add the rest if you so want!

Nicholas sent me a pm:-

From Nicholas Thanks for your help sylvia in Canada.I got the birth and death dates from a cousin who found me on G/R on my second day.She has his death cert that her father gave her and thats about it.no one knows much else as the family has had very little contact since his wife died in 1947ish.

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Oct 2007 21:13

Nicholas,

OK, now to answer.

The birth date may NOT be correct.

The information on a death certificate depends on what the informant knew.

They may make a guess at the birth date, if they don't have a certificate.

They may have been told a birth date by the deceased that is/was actually incorrect. My own grandfather told all the family he was born on December 25. Not until he died, did we discover that he had actually been born on January 9 (ie 2 weeks later than he said).

The best thing for you to do is to get William Horton's marriage certificate. Thta will have on it the names of both fathers, their occupations, the age of bride and groom, and where they lived. The names of the witnesses may also be a help.

It took some searching to find the registration because the Complete Index to bmds on ancestry for December quarter 1929 is all messed up! I couldn't find the cross reference looking for Rose Ellen, but I think this is the one.

William G Horton married Halford, Dec quarter 1929, Uxbridge 3a 183

Now, go to www.gro.gov.uk, click on Ordering Certificates Online in the box to the right side of the screen.

Follow the instructions.

They will ask for the GRO reference number ............... that is the set of two numbers above (ie, 3a 183)

Each certificate will cost £7 and take 4 to 7 days to arrive in the UK

sylvia