Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for family in St. Davids, Pembrokeshire.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 5 Oct 2008 13:07

My elderly Mum is now 89 years old and I have traced quite a bit of her family tree. I would love to trace her cousins if they are still alive or even their decendants. I am looking for the decendants of Thomas Hughes born 1890 in St. Davids, Pembrokeshire who I know lived in Nun Street with his parents and also at that address with his wife Anne. My Mother's 3 cousins were Fredrick (not sure on the spelling), Vincent and Jean who were born sometime shortly after 1919.

It would be lovely for my Mum to know what happened to them as she has not seen them sincde she was a child.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be extremely gratefull. The family would almost certainly have moved away from St. Davids by now.

Many thanks.

Linda

Linda Report 5 Oct 2008 13:33

Good heavens. How did you do that so quickly?!

I am now looking to see what happened to Thomas's children, Fredrick (not sure how that is spelt), Vincent and Jean who are my Mother's cousins.

They are probably passed over by now but you never know.

Many thanks Susan.

Linda

Linda

Linda Report 5 Oct 2008 15:20

To recap - Thomas Hughes is the stepbrother of my Grandfather William Hughes (1895 -1963). I know that William was born in St. Davids, Pembrokeshire.

Their Mother was called Mary and Thomas was a child of her first marriage and William's Father was Edwin Lewis born in 1854 in St. Davids.

I've given this information in the hope that going back, helps to go forward.

I will look into the Holywell connection that Susan has put forward for Thomas's wife Anne incase that helps me find the 3 children who would be in their late 80s now if they are still alive.

I'm not the most articulate person in the world so if I need to give any other information, do please tell me.

Many thanks,

Linda

Linda

**~~**  Mad Moo  **~~**

**~~** Mad Moo **~~** Report 5 Oct 2008 22:48

I live quite near to St Davids

Give me a shout if ya need anything.

Claire xx

Linda

Linda Report 5 Oct 2008 22:52

Thank you. Thats very kind of you. :o)

Linda

Linda

Linda Report 7 Oct 2008 22:19

Susan,

Holywell is 200+ miles from St. Davids so I don't think there is a connection there. I've asked around the family and sorry we do not know the Maiden name of Thomas's Mother.

Linda

***Lindsay***

***Lindsay*** Report 7 Oct 2008 23:27

Bear with me as I try to explain my theory of the poss. father of Thomas J Hughes and therefore poss. maiden name of his mother:-

1891 census
HUGHES, William Head Single M 56 1835 Carpenter
St Davids
Pembrokeshire
HUGHES, Mary Niece In Law Widow F 24 1867
Nantcaredig
Carmarthenshire
>>>HUGHES, Thomas J Nephew M 1 1890
St Davids
Pembrokeshire
REYNOLDS, Margret Servant Single F 19 1872 General Servant Domestic
St Davids
Pembrokeshire

RG number:
RG12 Piece:
4539 Folio:
42 Page:

Registration District:
Haverfordwest Sub District:
St David's EnumerationDistrict:
22 Ecclesiastical Parish:
St Davids

Civil Parish:
St Davids Municipal Borough:
Address:
Carpenters Arms, Goat Street, St Davids, Carvarchell County:
Pembrokeshire

Births Dec 1889 (>99%)

HUGHES Thomas John Haverfordwest 11a 993

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

Thomas's father died pre 1891 census, probably registered Haverfordwest district where Thomas born late 1899

Deaths Jun 1890 (>99%)
Hughes Frederick George 20 Haverfordwest 11a 608

Marriages Dec 1888 (>99%)
>>>HUGHES Frederick George Llandilofawr 11a 1369
?>>>RICHARDS Mary Llandilofawr 11a 1369
THOMAS Daniel Landilofawr 11a
Jones Maria Llandilofawr 11a 1369

There is a Mary Richards on 1871 census born Llanegwad which I believe is area in which Nantcaredig is situated.

Are you still with me??!!

1881 census
HUGHES, Thomas Head Widower M 75 1806 Carpenter St Davids Pembrokeshire
Wales
HUGHES, William Son Widower M 46 1835 Carpenter St Davids Pembrokeshire
Wales
WOOLLET, Mary Anne Daughter Married F 35 1846 Coastguards Wife
St Davids
Pembrokeshire
Wales
MARTIN, Anna Mariah Daughter Married F 30 1851 Carpenters Wife
St Davids
Pembrokeshire
Wales
HUGHES, Fredrick George Grand Son Single M 11 1870 Chorister
Barrow In Furness
Lancashire
WOOLLET, Helena Grand Daughter Single F 5 1876
Aberporth
Cardiganshire
Wales
MORGAN, Elizabeth Anne Servant Single F 18 1863 Gen Serv
St Davids
Pembrokeshire
Wales

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RG number:
RG11 Piece:
5422 Folio:
49 Page:

Registration District:
Haverfordwest Sub District:
St Davids EnumerationDistrict:
Ecclesiastical Parish:

Civil Parish:
St Davids Municipal Borough:
Address:
St Davids, St Davids County:
Pembrokeshire

On 1881 census above we find Frederick George, Grandson to Thomas and therefore I think nephew to William Hughes who appears to be same William who is uncle in law to Mary, mother of Thomas J Hughes.

There, made it!!

This is where you tell me you knew Thomas's father was Frederick George and all I had to do was look up the marriage to find his mothers maiden name. lol

Linda

Linda Report 8 Oct 2008 10:54

Thank you so much. This needs a lot of going over - so give me a few hours to really look at it.

Added to say that this is pretty jaw dropping if you have found out things I can tell my elderly Mother about her Grandmother Mary who she went to buy butter and eggs with.

:o)

Linda

Linda

Linda Report 8 Oct 2008 12:28

After going through all this, it makes perfect sense and no, I (nor myMother) knew who Thomas's Father was. What you have done is simply amazing.

Poor Mary, I wonder what happened to Frederick.

Thank you so much.

Linda

***Lindsay***

***Lindsay*** Report 8 Oct 2008 15:46

I think probably you need to send for Thomas's birth certificate first to confirm, or otherwise, that Frederick was his father and then take it from there. £7 well spent probably

Linda

Linda Report 8 Oct 2008 15:51

Will do. :o)

Linda

Linda

Linda Report 8 Oct 2008 18:00

I've discovered today that Thomas's wife Anne came from Hull and lived on a houseboat at one time!

Linda