Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Hughes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gemma

Gemma Report 23 Sep 2006 01:10

Hi everyone, I dont know if anyone will be able to help...but i hope so (this has really 'thrown a spanner in the works' of my research). Would love to hear from any QUAYLE HUGHES's who are from Liverpool or The Isle Of Man and who have the same dilemma as me. Here goes: My grandad Ronald Quayle Hughes (15/8/35-09/12/02) was born at South Hill House, Sth Liverpool to George Quayle Hughes & Louisa Quayle Hughes (nee McMichael): Throughout his life he always claimed that Quayle was not his middle name, but was joined with Hughes to create a double barrelled surname (although when he married my nan Evelyn Lillian Shelley in 1960, she only took the name Hughes. As did my dad when he was born in 1962). Also, by law (& on his birth certificate) his surname was Hughes (Quayle as a middle name). The strange thing is that all of my family in Liverpool have the middle name Quayle and the women who have married into the family have also taken Quayle aswell as Hughes (although it is still not a double barrelled name). Looking through the records, it seems that as far back as the 1850's, all family members, boys & girls, took the middle name Quayle and their future partners also. There is a family legend as to why the name's were joined...but I don't know how much is true (if any) as my grandad could only remember a vague story that his father had told him when he was a little boy! Can you help? If you are familiar with ANY of this...please contact me. I would be over the moon to find more Quayle Hughes's! Thanks, Best Wishes & Good Luck Gemma