Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Freda Florence James (Biddy) b1905 Poona, India

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cowslip

Cowslip Report 21 Dec 2009 00:32

I would be very grateful to anyone who can assist me with the following enquiry regarding Freda Florence James( otherwise known as Biddy) born 1905 Poona, India- Died May 1997 Bournemouth, England. I know that she was married to William lee 1907-1993 and I know her descendants details. I am trying to find out the names of Freda's Parents but given that she was born in India I have no idea how to go about this.
I would be very grateful if anyone can either point me in the right direction or indeed access any details on my behalf. Freda was my wifes Grandmother I am researching the tree for our children.

Seasons Greetings to everyone.

Linda

Linda Report 21 Dec 2009 00:52

If yiu have a copy of her marriage cert it may give you her fathers name, and findmypast.com might help with her birth record. Was her father in the military?

Regards Linda :)

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 21 Dec 2009 00:56

My thoughts as well! I'll have a look on FMP. In the interim-would this be their marriage??
Name: Florence James
Spouse Surname: Lee
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1932
Registration district: Bristol
Registration county (inferred): Gloucestershire, Somerset
Volume Number: 6a
Page Number: 279

Name: William T Lee
Spouse Surname: James
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1932
Registration district: Bristol
Registration county (inferred): Gloucestershire, Somerset
Volume Number: 6a
Page Number: 279

Name: Freda Florence Lee
Birth Date: 22 Jul 1905
Death Registration Month/Year: May 1997
Age at death (estimated): 91
Registration district: Bournemouth
Inferred County: Hampshire
Register number: B16D
District and Subdistrict: 4271B
Entry number: 159

Name: William Tuckett Lee
Birth Date: 27 Dec 1907
Death Registration Month/Year: Dec 1993
Age at death (estimated): 86
Registration district: Bournemouth
Inferred County: Hampshire
Register number: C5D
District and Subdistrict: 4271C
Entry number: 236

Maureen

Cowslip

Cowslip Report 21 Dec 2009 01:36

Hi to Hoping and MaureeninNY

Thank you both very much for looking at this.

Hoping- I hadn't even thought of the marriage certificate as a pointer so yes that would be a good place for me to look. Why didn't I think of that!

MaureeninNY- Yes those are the correct details. Unfortunately I don't know if she had any other siblings.

From what i remember of family gossip I think that her father was from a military background, but I have no details or may indeed be incorrect in that recollection. I also remember talk of her having an Ayah but cannot remember anything else.

Sorry that isnt alot of help is it.
Kind Regards
Paul

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 21 Dec 2009 01:55

Hi Paul,
Haven't had any luck on FMP for birth details,but yes- do get the marriage cert!!!
Such a nice thing to do for your children.

Guess you don't need help with William???

Best,
Maureen

Ann

Ann Report 21 Dec 2009 09:04

Try this site Families in British India Society - gives free online access to the records you'll need if you want to research ancestors who lived or served in the Indian sub-continent from 1600 - 1947.
On the homepage, click on Fibis search, then select the section in which you'd expect to find the records you want.

www.fibis.org or www.bl.uk

The British Library's India Office Records Section (IOR)

Have you tried Familysearch site, and put India as Country

Happy Hunting

Ann

Cowslip

Cowslip Report 22 Dec 2009 00:49

Hi Maureen

Thanks for having a look Maureen, really appreciate your help :) Fortunately I am managing ok with Tracing Williams ancestors and have managed to get back to his Great grandfather in 1816 but thank you for the offer anyway. I also went and had a look at FMP and likewise couldn't see anything there.

Hi Ann, many thanks for the suggestions on where to look next, I have tried Family search with no luck but didnt know about the others so will give them a go.

Happy Christmas to you both.
Paul

Ann

Ann Report 25 Dec 2009 09:56

Hi Paul

January's addition of 'Who Do You Think You Are' has an article Finding Ancestors who spent time in India in British Empire times.

Gives the following sites as starting points for research

www.britishempire.co.uk

india.gov.in/knowindia/freedom_struggle2.php

www.movinghere.org.uk (use 'Tracing Your Roots')

http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/Home.aspx

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a

www.findmypast.com/migration.jsp

www.eicships.info (East India Company Ships)

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/familyhistory/guide/army/undian.htm

www.bl.uk/reshelp/findhelpregion/asia/india/indiaofficerecords/indiaofficehub/html

nationalarchieves.nic.in/landing.html

channel4.empireschildren.co.uk

http://genealogy.about.com/od/india/India.htm

www.indiaman.com

www.members.dca.net/fbl

www.indian-cemeteries.org

http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index/intl/IND/INDIA.html

Hope these might help

Ann

Cowslip

Cowslip Report 26 Dec 2009 01:35

Hi Ann

Thats really very kind of you to take the time to post this list up for me, I really appreciate it. Thank you very much and I hope that your Christmas is a good one.

Paul