Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

James of Penboyr, Carmarthen

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwladys

Gwladys Report 30 Apr 2010 12:57

I'm trying to find the relatives of Mary James, born in Penboyr about 1821, her father's name was Evan James.
I would appreciate any help
Many thanks
Gwladys

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 30 Apr 2010 13:16

Could you give a census you have her on please?

Did she marry?
Who?
Any children?

What is the address on her marriage cert if you have it?
What is her fathers occupation?

patchem

patchem Report 30 Apr 2010 18:20

There are 2 or 3 Evan James in Pen Boyr in 1841. Without a few more dates, and which relatives you are trying to find, we are just aimlessly fishing.
Can you just explain where you got her from so we can track back?
Thank-you

patchem

patchem Report 30 Apr 2010 19:01

Pen Boyr is Carmarthen, Pen Bryn is Cardigan, a different place?

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 30 Apr 2010 19:44

Totally and utterly different..

Llanbadarnfawr is near Aberystwyth Cardiganshire.
Penbryn is near Cardigan ,Cardiganshire
Ceredigion as is now

and Penboyr is near Newcastle Emlyn
Carmarthenshire,but close (ish) to the Cardiganshire border.

But not near the other 2 by miles.

Edit..
But saying that,there is a Penbryn near Llandysul also which is nearer to Newcastle Emlyn,but still a VERY long walk or horse ride from Penboyr.

Gwladys

Gwladys Report 30 Apr 2010 20:31

Thank you all for your replies. Mary James married David Jones from Carmarthen Town in 1843 and they made their home in St ishmael. Mary may have been in St Ishmael when she met David, In the 1841 census there are 2 Mary James in the area, both same age but working on different farms On the marriage certificate both David and Mary are residence in St Ishmael and her father is Evan James. I have not been able to find her in the 1851 census but David is there. they also had a son named Evan, born 1845 and he is not there either. in all the censuses from 1861 to 1891 she is living in St Ishmael and it is recorded that she is from Penboyr. She died in 1894.
Would like to find her parents and see if she had any siblings. She does not appear to be in the baptism in Penboyr Parish records and neither does her parents marriage. I've been told that Penbryn is only about 14 miles from Penboyr. There is nothing to suggest that her parents moved to St Ishmael after she was born. any help will be appreciated.

Thank you
Gwladys

patchem

patchem Report 30 Apr 2010 20:44

Evan in 1841??
1841 Wales Census
Evan James Age: 50 Estimated birth year: abt 1791
Gender: Male Where born: Carmarthenshire, Wales Civil parish: Penboyr Hundred: Elvet County/Island: Carmarthenshire Country: Wales Street Address: ?? Occupation: ag labourer Registration district: Newcastle Emlyn Sub-registration district: Kenarth
Evan James 50 all local
Margaret James 13
Nany James 11
Ruth James 7
Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 1383; Book: 22; Civil Parish: Penboyr; County: Carmarthenshire; Enumeration District: 5; Folio: 12; Page: 15; Line: 17; GSU roll: 464310.

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 30 Apr 2010 21:11

Is this them in 1861?

JONES, David Head Married M 44 1817 Agricultural Labourer
Carmarthen
JONES, Mary Wife Married F 38 1823
Carmarthen... (Penboyr on image)
JONES, Catherine Daughter F 8 1853
Carmarthen St Ishmael
JONES, Mary Daughter F 4 1857
St Nicholas...
JONES, Fany Daughter F 0 (5M) 1861
Carmarthen St Ishmael
RG number:
RG09 Piece:
4136 Folio:
85 Page:

Registration District:
Carmarthen Sub District:
1 Llangendeirne Enumeration District:
26 B Ecclesiastical Parish:

Civil Parish:
St Ishmaels Municipal Borough:
Address:
Nant, St Ishmaels County:
Carmarthenshire

Were the witnesses on marriage any of the James family?

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 30 Apr 2010 21:33

How about this one then???????????????

MARY JAMES Pedigree
Female

Birth:
Christening: 20 APR 1828 Llanddarog, Carmarthen, Wales
Parents:
Father: EVAN JAMES Family
Mother: JANE

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record.

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 30 Apr 2010 22:18

It is in Carmartheshire,but rather far from Penboyr I fear, as it is on the way to Tumble area.

Gwladys

Gwladys Report 30 Apr 2010 23:58

FannyByGaslight information is correct, yes they are my family and they are the ones I'm searching for. I have some family tie up from Mary forward, but I have nothing on Mary backwards.

In the Marriage Certificate, David's father is not mentioned, - Evan James was a labourer and the two witnesses were Evan Jones and George Jones.

I shall certainly search Llanddarog, but not being familiar with the area, could someone born in Penboyr be registered in the Parish records'Baptism in Elvet or Newcastle Emlyn.
Gwladys

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 1 May 2010 01:01

I am still online at the moment. Just come back to see how we are doing!!

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 1 May 2010 15:30

"could someone born in Penboyr be registered in the Parish records'Baptism in Elvet or Newcastle Emlyn".

Yes as Penboyr lies halfway between the 2

It is not that far to either by footpaths and Elvet would be (I think)Conwil/Conwyl Elfed as known today.
There is actually no V in the Welsh language so Elvet is the English spelling,as you probably know.

Penboyr had a parish church,but the James may have been Chapel and not church.

http://www.freereg.org.uk/parishes/cmn.htm

I think that the National library of Wales (Aberystwyth)holds most Capel/Chapel records ,if they are not still in the Chapels themselves.

Which is why I dont really like Welsh Parish record searching as you really need to know the Denomination of the family.
Also they are not well covered online.

There are so many different Chapel ones.

Gwladys

Gwladys Report 2 May 2010 00:36

FannyByGaslight . Thank you so very much for the addresses and the relevant information, I didn't know how or where to look for records of other denomiation other than the ParishChurch. Now you have given me the answer, thank you once again.
Gwladys