Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William James b.1780 ish

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Belinda

Belinda Report 13 Jun 2010 20:33

I am trying to find any info about William James, living at Upton Warren, Worcestershire. I think he may have been born around the 1780's. I havent had much luck in locating him. I wondered if he may have gone abroad. If anyone has access to these kind of records and has a few minutes to spare to see if he travelled I would be greatly appreciative.

I think his wife may have been called Mary also from the Upton Warren, Worcestershire area. I have no other info at all, so I know this may be a real long shot.

But Thanks to anyone who has a look at this thread.
Belinda.

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 13 Jun 2010 21:03

Have you tried a search on this site to see if anyone else is looking for the family
Liz

patchem

patchem Report 13 Jun 2010 21:42

You have got your information from somewhere, so could you say what that is?
Thanks

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 13 Jun 2010 22:32

Searching censuses for surname James, born and/or living in Upton Warren, gets this result in 1861:

Name: Charles James
Estimated birth year: abt 1782
Relation: Head
Where born: Upton Warren, Worcestershire, England

Civil parish: Upton Warren
County/Island: Worcestershire

Charles James 79
Ann Griffith 64 niece

In other censes there are also a Frances James (male) c1773 and an Enock James c1821.

But I'm with Patricia -- what do you know of this William James (parents, siblings) and what has prompted you to look for him? Presumably he's related to someone of interest to you, e.g. he's a sibling of an ancestor - ?

Belinda

Belinda Report 14 Jun 2010 12:19

Patirica and JaneyCanuck.
I live in a village not far from Upton Warren called Stoke Works and Stoke Prior. I am from a James Family so when tracing my tree I have come across names of the same, i.e. William, Thomas, Charles, the usual names of that era, which overlap or branch off into other trees. As was the thing children were named after other familly members, so it was just a case of finding the ones which belong in my tree.
I don't know William's parents, just that his wife was called Mary and they lived at Upton Warren.
Thanks for looking at the thread and apologise for it being vague.

patchem

patchem Report 14 Jun 2010 22:05

This looks like Charles in 1841:
1841 England Census
Charles James Age: 60 Estimated birth year: abt 1781 Gender: Male Where born: Worcestershire, England Civil parish: Upton Warren Hundred: Halfshire (Upper Division) County/Island: Worcestershire Country: England Street Address: Swan Inn Occupation: Publican registration district: Droitwich Sub-registration district: Droitwich
Charles James 60
Clarissmo James 50
Ann Ingram 20 FS
Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 1198; Book: 18; Civil Parish: Upton Warren; County: Worcestershire; Enumeration District: 16; Folio: 6; Page: 8; Line: 24; GSU roll: 464209.
Was her name Clarissa ?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 14 Jun 2010 23:00

It's Clarissa in 1851, as I recall from looking at it last night. ;)