Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

deaths?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anne-marie knowles

Anne-marie knowles Report 31 Dec 2010 19:55

Trying to find out whether my nan is dead or alive as i have not met her and have no idea, if anyone could help me see if any record on her would be great.

Winifred knowles - possibly james as its her maiden name and not sure which one she used

thanks

jax

jax Report 31 Dec 2010 20:07

Any idea when she was born?

jax

Rambling

Rambling Report 31 Dec 2010 20:07

Do you have her birth year?

and possible location

Mary

Mary Report 31 Dec 2010 20:08

You will have to give more info if you are to get any help.
Any dates or locations etc.

Maryb

jax

jax Report 31 Dec 2010 20:11

Marriages Dec 1943 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James Winifred J Knowles Basford 7b 464
Knowles Thomas C James Basford 7b 464
Lane Helen Peyton Basford 7b 464
Peyton Mereditrh L Lane Basford 7b 464

Anne-marie knowles

Anne-marie knowles Report 31 Dec 2010 20:18

James Winifred J Knowles Basford 7b 464
Knowles Thomas C James Basford 7b 464

sounds right...

erm not sure on birth date last known location was bury st edmands suffolk i think
she had two sons alan and john
is that anymore help?

Rambling

Rambling Report 31 Dec 2010 20:21

There are lots of deaths for Winifred Knowles, to be sure of any you will need a birth year, the marriage cert will give her age and father to work forward from

Anne-marie knowles

Anne-marie knowles Report 31 Dec 2010 20:24

trying to remember what my father had said about her it possibly 1928 and born AYLESBURY Buckinghamshire England but i cant be 100%

jax

jax Report 31 Dec 2010 20:26

Makes her 15 when she married then?

jax

jax

jax Report 31 Dec 2010 20:28

Births Mar 1922 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James Winifred J Wallice Aylesbury 3a 1723

Anne-marie knowles

Anne-marie knowles Report 31 Dec 2010 20:28

well i heard from someone who tried helping me find my dads real dad that his name may of been thomas and she had my father around age of 20 and dad was born 1948 so..thats much info as i have

jax

jax Report 31 Dec 2010 20:31

??

Name: Winifred Knowles
Birth Date: 11 Jan 1922
Death Registration Month/Year: Apr 1987
Age at death (estimated): 65
Registration district: Norwich Outer
Inferred County: Norfolk
Volume: 10
Page: 1913

jax

jax Report 31 Dec 2010 20:33

Where did her age come from her marriage cert?

jax

Anne-marie knowles

Anne-marie knowles Report 31 Dec 2010 20:34

that cant be one as when i was kid my father took me to see her and lost contact with her and as my father is dead now i have no way to find her so thats why trying find if she alive or dead, last time i was her as a kid was ftaer 1991

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 31 Dec 2010 20:34

Plenty of Winifred James's born Buckinghamshire, including Amersham.

You need the marriage cert to check on her age, and her father.

I can find a birth of John Knowles, mmn James, but not of Alan. Do you know where/when they were born?

Is your grandfather still alive?

Anne-marie knowles

Anne-marie knowles Report 31 Dec 2010 20:34

no im going on what my father told me hence some slight confusion as his passed away now i cant get much more info

Anne-marie knowles

Anne-marie knowles Report 31 Dec 2010 20:37

my father was born alan james knowles 1948 in leister, not sure on granfather only that i heard from non relative name was maybe thomas as my father had a stepfather as did not know his real dad. all very confusing :(

john maybe born 1958 ish

patchem

patchem Report 31 Dec 2010 20:40

You could try for an electoral rolls look up, as, if born in 1922, she is only 88.

Anne-marie knowles

Anne-marie knowles Report 31 Dec 2010 21:02

ty, everyone for the help you have given its just i have basically no family left to ask and would like to find out if she is still alive as my father lost contact with her meaning i did aswell

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 31 Dec 2010 21:35

Anne-marie, you absolutely have to get Winifred's marriage certificate, as has been said several times.

It will give you her age when she married and her father's name and occupation.

With that info, you have a good chance of identifying her birth registration record. Then you get her birth certificate to have her exact date of birth. After 1969, the deaths index can be searched by date of birth (so even if she had remarried, if she died before 2005 her death could be identifiable).

To be very certain you have the right couple, it would probably be wise to get your dad's birth certificate, which will name both his parents:

Name: Alan J Knowles
Mother's Maiden Surname: James
Date of Registration: Jul Aug Sep 1948
Registration district: Leicester
Registration county: Leicestershire, Derbyshire
Volume Number: 3a
Page Number: 852

You order certificates here, with the registration info that has been given in the thread:

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

and you can come back to this thread with the info if you need more help once you have her marriage certificate.

Doing anything else is really just guessing.

As far as when/whether she might have died -- you must have a better idea of when you last knew her to be living than just "after 1991"?

Ah, a bit of a common complication here. It looks like your dad's birth was also registered under another name. It seems Winifred was estranged from her husband when he was born. Since your dad is deceased, I'll post the info here:

Name: Alan J Robertson
Mother's Maiden Surname: James
Date of Registration: Jul Aug Sep 1948
Registration district: Leicester
Registration county: Leicestershire, Derbyshire
Volume Number: 3a
Page Number: 852

I think his real father was Mr Robertson -- the birth certificate would give his full name. However, because Winifred was still married, the law required that the birth be registered under her husband's surname as well. It could be a coincidence that an Alan J Robertson with mother James was born at about the same time in the same place as your dad, but I would guess the two names are the same birth.

So Winifred may not have used the surname Knowles after she separated from Mr Knowles, if that was the case. That makes it essential to know her exact date of birth, to search for a death, since you can't be sure of the surname in which her death might have been registered -- or the surname she might be using if she is still living.