Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MISSING BABIES BUT NO KNOWN NAMES

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alison

Alison Report 7 Apr 2009 22:44

Found my great grand parents grave in Talbot Road Blackpool after finding two receipts in my mother's effects for an inscription to be added to a headstone .... I knew that my great grandmother had had 8 children with just 3 surviving but there was a baby in the grave with them. Only one though - so any ideas on how to find the missing 4 when i have no names at all.

Mother died at Barton, Father died alot later in Blackburn and baby Catherine died in Flyde - was also born there - and was born 3 years after the surviving son - no one else are aware that she had more than 3 children, it appeared on the census for 1911. Baby Catherine died in 1906. I thought if I sent for the death certificate it might explain why the baby died so young.

ALLY LEACH

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 7 Apr 2009 22:53

Catherine's death certificate will hopefully give you an address and therefore a parish, so that you can search burial registers looking for their surname.
Maybe that will help find the other children.

Gwyn

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Apr 2009 23:11

Was it a private grave if so then the most likely other burials are family
If you look on Freebmd for children born and died in the same registration area withe the surname the you may be able to identify them .
I have just been searching for 6 deaths of children of my OH nans family having found how many children the parents had and how many alive from the 1911 census. I knew OH Nana and her two sisters AND I knew that Nana married at 16 cos she was the eldest and she wanted to leave home cos she was fed up with being the unpaid nursemaid for the siblings that were born and died. I have ordered six death certs giving the dads name as a checking point( childrens death certs describe them as son or daughter of the fathers name.

So far four have arrived and they are the right family,still waiting on the post for the other two!

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 7 Apr 2009 23:44

am I right in thinking that the 1911 census says how many children were born to a couple & how many were still living?

Were the burials in Layton cemetery & what names are we looking for here - surname in particular

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Apr 2009 23:52

lancashireann.
Yes the 1911 census is an eye opener cos it asks how long the marriage has been|(altho some still lied cos they weren't married) how many children born ,how many still alive ,and how many died, It has helped me looking at OH Nana's side as i knew she married young to leave home cos she was fed up with being the unpaid nursemaid!!

Alison

Alison Report 14 Apr 2009 20:14

Yes the 1911 census was quite a shock when I realised she had had 8 live children but only 3 had survived. None of the 3 brothers were aware there were more children although I did think it strange that baby Catherine Blanche was born after the youngest son and he hadn't mentioned that he had had a sister but had died when she was a baby - and apparently the parents hadn't spoken of it or else they were busy people with their own businesses.

Mother, father and baby daughter are buried in Blackpool's Talbot Road cemetery and Laycock's Friends helped me to locate the actual plot. - I foundit because I had been given some family documents and receipts from a long lost cousin - we made contact via genes earlier this year after a 40 year gap when her parents went one way and mine the other ...

Thanks for helpful pointers to find the other babies.

Ally x.

Alison

Alison Report 14 Apr 2009 20:20

Surname looking for is LEACH.

Mother was CATHERINE LEACH nee SHIEL born in Runcorn and a boarding house keeper
Father was GEORGE LEACH born in Colne Lancashire and a fish & game dealer - own account.
Baby was CATHERINE BLANCHE born 1905 Dec and died May 1906.

Surviving sons were:

GEORGE LEACH born 1896 Nelson - have tracked him to the 1911 census age 15 an apprentice hair dresser and the trail has stopped there - I think he married and had a daughter Ann but have hit a brick wall for now.

KIEREN EDWARD LEACH born 1901 Nelson - my grandfather - known as EDDIE - have traced his children and their off spring

WILLIAM FREDERICK LEACH born 1903 Nelson - known as BILL and recently found his children and their children living in Rugby Warwickshire last year - have recently met a grand daughter via Genes and her Aunt, Bill's youngest daughter.

Ally x