Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Longthorne

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 17 Jan 2007 14:43

Trying to find the childlren of Pauline Longthorne (nee Laurence) Namely Paul Rodney Longthorne and Pamela Margaret Longthorne.

James

James Report 6 Jan 2023 22:37

Hi Gillian,

I’m not sure if you’ll get this message as yours was posted in 2007. However, just in case it does reach you, Pam is my mother and Paul my uncle. By chance I was searching for my grandmother’s name in Google and found your message. How strange.

Anyway, I hope you get this message and if you do please get in touch.

Yours hopefully,

James

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Jan 2023 00:06

Welcome to the board James.

Unfortunately Gilliam is no longer a member of this site so she will not receive your message.

Kath. x

James

James Report 7 Jan 2023 09:30

Hi Kath,

Ah, what a shame! But thanks for letting me know. That's really good of you.

I just had one more question, if I may. I'm new to the site, so don't really know how to read the information around the post. However, there were two names associated with the post. "Gillian Conway" and "Gillian King". I couldn't work out which was the name of the person who had actually made the post. Do you happen to know which one it was? Or, in fact, if it was neither and those were not her last names? I don't want to go down a "King" or "Conway" rabbit hole only if neither of those last names were actually the names of the Gillian who made the post.

All the best, and thanks again,

James

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Jan 2023 10:51

James

Welcome to Genes. As Gillian is no longer a member we won’t know which surname she has. Click on her name to see what I mean.

I’ve had a look at the Search/ all members trees ( at the top right) to see if anyone has Pauline in their tree and they don’t.

If you know you have a relation called Gilian I would suggest you try and contact her to see if she was looking for your mother and Uncle.

Good luck

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Jan 2023 11:33

A search for Pauline AND Longthorne in "Advanced Search" (or for Longthorne in Quick Search) shows the thread, with poster's name Gillian King.

Where did you see the name Conway in connection with the thread?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Jan 2023 11:43

It would be helpful to know which country this relates to.............

Doesn't appear to be the UK...........

James

James Report 7 Jan 2023 12:01

Hi all,

Thanks so much for all your replies - I'm overwhelmed that you're all so helpful. Wow!

@nameslessone - I don't know if I have a relation called Gillian; I actually don't know much about my family tree at all. It's why it was so strange and exciting too

@ArgyllGran - oh, that's great to know. I can't see Conway anymore either but I think when I first found the thread it said 'posted by Gillian King' but 'last post by Gillian Conway' (and there was only one post at the time). However, seems like it is King if it says 'posted by Gillian King'. And thanks for the tip of finding the thread again. I couldn't see it.

@ErikaH - sadly I don't know what country this relates to. My family are UK based. I'd assumed Gillian King (?) was Australian given this is an Australian site, but I could be wrong. So many unknowns ;-)

Anyway, thanks everyone.

Best wishes,

James

James

James Report 7 Jan 2023 12:03

Oh, I had one more question - I can see when I looked at the profile that Gillian, who posted that they were looking for my mother and uncle, has a total of 4 posts.

Does anyone know how I can find the other posts that she made? Maybe I can find some clues that way.

Thanks again,

James

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Jan 2023 12:06

This is a UK site

I asked about the country as I can find absolutely no records for any of the names in the OP

No births for Longthorne with MMN Laurence

EDITED
Longthorne births with MMN Cooke found (Yorkshire)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Jan 2023 12:12

The searches I mentioned have Gillian King in the column headed "Posted by".

I don't see any mention of Gillian Conway.
All the posts on the thread are as you see here on this page.

You say your family is UK based.
However, there are no birth records for Pamela or Paul in Scotland, England or Wales, and no marriage for Pauline Laurence to a Longthorne.

Maybe Northern Ireland, online records for which are not so easy to find?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Jan 2023 12:16

AG

See my edit..................... ;-) ;-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Jan 2023 12:21

Marriages Jun 1941 (>99%)
Cooke Pauline L Longthorne Spen Valley 9b 1402
Longthorne Arthur R Cooke Spen Valley 9b 1402

Births Dec 1920 (>99%)
Cooke Pauline L Laurence Dewsbury 9b 1041

GRO version
COOKE, PAULINE LAURENCE LAURENCE
GRO Reference: 1920 D Quarter in DEWSBURY Volume 09B Page 1041

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Jan 2023 12:24

1921 Census Of England & Wales
Knowl Road, Mirfield, Yorkshire (West Riding), England

Maurice Cooke Head Male 1874 46 Ipswich, Suffolk, England Professional Musician -
Edith Cooke Wife Female 1883 38 Dewsbury, Yorkshire, England - -
Phyllis Cooke Daughter Female 1913 8 Mirfield, Yorkshire, England Private Institution -
Pauline Cooke Daughter Female 1920 - Mirfield, Yorkshire, England - -
Hannah Sutcliffe Servant Female 1890 31 Batley, Yorkshire, England Servant Private

Marriages Dec 1905 (>99%)
COOKE Maurice Edward Dewsbury 9b 1199
LAURENCE Edith Alice Dewsbury 9b 1199
LAWRENCE Edith Alice Dewsbury 9b 1199

COOKE, MAURICE EDWARD ROGERS
GRO Reference: 1874 D Quarter in IPSWICH Volume 04A Page 637

Sibling?
COOKE, HERBERT ROGERS
GRO Reference: 1873 D Quarter in IPSWICH Volume 04A Page 612
Deaths Dec 1873 (>99%)
Cooke Herbert 0 Ipswich 4a 376

1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census
11, Neale Street, Ipswich St Margaret, Ipswich, Suffolk, England
Charles Cooke Head Married Male 41 1840 Teacher of music Ipswich, Suffolk, England
Annie Cooke Wife Married Female 41 1840 - Ipswich, Suffolk, England
Hilda Cooke Daughter Single Female 14 1867 Scholar Ipswich, Suffolk, England
Maurice Cooke Son Single Male 6 1875 Scholar Ipswich, Suffolk, England
Anne Watson Servant Single Female 15 1866 General servant Rushmere, Suffolk, England

COOKE, EDITH MAUD ROGERS
GRO Reference: 1868 J Quarter in IPSWICH Volume 04A Page 621

Deaths Sep 1868 (>99%)
Cooke Edith Maud 0 Ipswich 4a 425
COOKE, HILDA ADELINA ROGERS
GRO Reference: 1867 M Quarter in IPSWICH Volume 04A Page 637

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Jan 2023 12:26

1939 Register
Brenwood Station Road, Ossett, Ossett M.B., Yorkshire (West Riding), England

Maurice E Cooke 18 Nov 1874 Male Music School Teacher Married 1 1
Edith A Cooke ? Apr ? Female Daily Retired Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 1 2
Phyllis M Gee (Cooke) 09 Jun 1913 Female Shorthand Typist (Student) Single 1 3

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Jan 2023 12:28

Marriages Dec 1945 (>99%)
Cooke Phyllis M Gee Fakenham 4b 831
Gee Edward Cooke Fakenham 4b 831

One possible child - male

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Jan 2023 12:31

You asked about finding other posts by Gillian.

No, there's no way to find them, without an unfeasible amount of trial and error.

Her membership number was 4436311 (hover over her name, and you'll see the number in a little pop-up box at bottom left of the screen).

If you knew any name that she might have posted about, you could search for that name in either Quick Search (which doesn't allow you to input name of poster, and brings up potentially hundreds of pages of results, not in any chronological order) or Advanced Search (which allows you to input the poster's name, but only gives maximum of two pages of results) , and them click on "Find out more" beside any tree owner named Gillian. The resulting message box would show the membership number.

Burt as you don't know what else she might have posted about, that would be a needle in an impossible haystack situation.
Also, her other posts might have been on threads started by other people, and not by her.

Advanced Search doesn't bring up any other threads by her about Longthorne, Conway, Cooke, or King - at least in the two pages of results offered.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Jan 2023 12:39

Yes, I saw that Yorkshire family, ErikaH .

I had disregarded it because I was looking for births of Longthorne children with mmn Laurence - but now I see the births with mmn Cooke.

However, so far it doesn't seem to solve the King/Conway problem.

Searching the bigger of the two public trees showing Pauline on Ancestry doesn't show any Conways, and only two Kings - William A King 1843, and Margaret King 1792 .

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Jan 2023 12:41

As Gillian didn't know the correct MMN, one has to wonder how closely connected she may have been

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Jan 2023 12:49

Longthorne
Pauline Laurence
05/11/1920
England & Wales Deaths 1837-2007
Dewsbury, Yorkshire, England

Death date 17 Oct 2003