Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Descendents of David Lucas

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alison

Alison Report 14 Nov 2009 17:10

I am trying to find descendents of David Lucas.
I can find him with his wife on the censuses of 1851,1861 and 1871. I know he died in 1881.
His children gradually left home - but I have yet to trace them.
Any help would be appreciated.

Barbara

Barbara Report 14 Nov 2009 17:57

Have you any dates and areas

Barbara

Barbara Report 15 Nov 2009 08:41

Is this him in 1881?

Address: Fulham Union Workhouse, Hammersmith Rd, Fulham

LUCAS, David Inmate Widower M 78 1803 Artist & Engraver
Geddington Chase
Hampshire

Barbara

Barbara Report 16 Nov 2009 13:45

Google David Lucas Artist

David Lucas
[English, 1802-1881]

• Browse all: British artists

Barbara

Barbara Report 16 Nov 2009 14:03

Summer Morning, ca. 1830
Made by David Lucas (British, 1802–1881); Designed by John Constable (British, 1776–1837)
Mezzotint; proof before letters, state b
Harris Brisbane Dick Fund, 1939 (39.68.27)

In 1827, Constable began work on the project that would occupy his attention until his death seven years later: the publication of a series of prints based on his paintings that would stand as a summary of his achievements. The painter collaborated closely with the engraver David Lucas to create prints that would convey Constable's didactic intention—to illustrate the "chiaroscuro of nature." The medium of mezzotint, in which the design is developed from dark to light using a wide range of velvety tones, was eminently suited to the project. Here, the bright sun of a summer morning illuminates a richly textured landscape, striated in light and shade.