Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Glamorgan Look ups

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Katherine

Katherine Report 4 Jun 2010 09:38

In my family free I have a Mary Anne James who was born around 1862 in Breconshire Wales. She had a son out of wedlock around 1882 in Swansea and on census reports was named FREDERICK LUCAS. I cannot find a birth certificate on FREEBMD for this name. Can you look on your records around 1882 to see who was born to a Mary Anne James and a father’s name?

Mary Anne James did marry a William Arnold Biddell Lucas on 8 Oct 1883 in Oystermouth Glamorgan and went on to have a Emily Lilian Lucas in 1886, known as Lily. I know little about William Arnold Biddell Lucas only that he was a mariner and his father was called William Biddell Lucas who was a brazier. Does either of the William’s appear on your records in Glamorgan. Any information on these people would be appreciated.

Regards

Katherine Pedrazzini

Gee

Gee Report 4 Jun 2010 09:57

If she wasnt married then its likely the child was registered in her name

Births Mar 1882 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James Frederick Blackmore Swansea 11a 677

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Mar 1883 (>99%)

James Frederick Arnold Swansea 11a 731

Births Dec 1883 (>99%)

James Frederick Morgan Swansea 11a 703

you'd need the certificate to get the details of the mother and maybe even the father?

Id plump for the Frederick ARNOLD James as her husband to be had that name too

x

patchem

patchem Report 4 Jun 2010 17:35

For background, family in 1901?
1901 Wales Census
Mary Ann Evans (No, it is Lucas) Age in 1901: 39 Estimated birth year: abt 1862 Relation: Wife Gender: Female Where born: Breconshire, Wales Civil parish: Swansea Ecclesiastical parish: Cockett and Swansea St Peter Town: Swansea County/Island: Glamorgan Country: Wales Street Address: 402 Pentryethr?? Road Condition as to marriage: married Occupation: husband away Registration district: Swansea Sub-registration district: Llandilo Talybont ED, institution, or vessel: 16 Household schedule number: 246
Mary Ann Evans 39
Fred Lucas 19 Swansea
Lily Lucas 14 Swansea
William Lucas 3 Swansea
Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 5069; Folio: 77; Page: 41.

Added:
Upon looking again, Mary Ann is probably Evans, and William looks more like Evans than Lucas

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 4 Jun 2010 18:02

1891 census

Name Mary Lucas
Age 31
Estimated Year of Birth 1860
Relationship to Head of Household Wife
Occupation
Address 130, Western Street
District Swansea, Swansea
Parish Swansea Town and Franchise
Administrative County Glamorganshire
Birth Place Llanelly
Birth County Breconshire
in house
william a lucas head 32 ( born london holloway )
mary a wife 31
frederick b james stepson 9
emily l lucas daughter 4
hannah j edwards boarder 16
RG 12 / 4482

patchem

patchem Report 4 Jun 2010 20:29

1911?
LUCAS, Frederick Head Single M 29 1882 Cleaner Swansea
LUCAS, Lillian Sister Single F 24 1887 Tailoress Swansea
EVANS, William Half Brother Single M 13 1898 School Swansea
LUCAS, Stanley Brother Single M 2 1909 Swansea
RG number: RG14 Piece: 32780 Reference: RG14PN32780 RG78PN1870 RD594 SD3 ED23 SN172
Registration District: Swansea Sub District: Swansea Enumeration District: 23 Parish: Swansea
Address: 15 Wordsworth Street Swansea County: Glamorganshire

Katherine

Katherine Report 6 Jun 2010 12:09

Thanks for this information, I have been searching on ancestry on the 1891 census but still cant find it.

How can I get a copy? Can you see it on ancestry?

Thank you again for your help, at least I now know where WIlliam was born

Katherine