Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Christopher Lyth

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christopher

Christopher Report 21 Mar 2007 18:03

Hi, I have been involved in genealogy since 1992 and my main research has been through my Paternal Fathers line of LYTH (Several variations of the spelling LYTH,LYTHE,LITH,LITHE,LYETH,LEYTH,LYD (the D being the Anglo Saxon for “th”). The Village of LYTHE, two miles north of Whitby is mentioned in the DOOMSDAY Book………... “in LID (Lyth) to be taxed two carucates and one plough may till it. Sween had there one manor. Now the earl of Monton has it and Nigel of him. Therein are six villages (villagers ?) with one plough, and six acres of meadow, wood pasture one mile long and two quarenters broad. Value in King Edward’s (Edward the Confessor) time twenty shillings now five shillings and sixpence”. There is also a village of LYTH in Scotland, It is rumoured that LYTH’S fought with Robert the Bruce and land was given by Robert to the LYTHS in reward, There are Lyths recorded in Aberdeen, Scotland but I have not found a link yet. There are two main branches of LYTHS in England, The Yorkshire and the Shropshire branches, Again there is a link somewhere yet to be found. There are also LYTHS in Scandinavia, which seems to hint at a link with the Vikings, (some of my family and ancestors do have red hair !) I have traced my family line directly back to Whitby, Yorkshire and my 13th Great Grandfather Matthew LYTH (b.abt 1610-1679). The LYTHs were recusants (Staunch Catholics). Matthew Lyth jnr (1641-1683) was Living at a smallholding named Redbarns (still there to this day) at Littlebeck near Whitby in 1678 and whilst the Catholic Priest Father Nicholas Postgate was baptising his son Ambrose LYTH (1678-1757) the King’s surveyor John REEVES and other men broke in to search LYTH’s house for arms and ammunition after LYTH’s seditious statements at a wedding. REEVES, finding the baptism and Popish Priest they did arrest Father Nicholas Postgate, Matthew Lyth and two other men named Redman and Roe. All were imprisoned, Redman and Roe were released from prison after conforming to the Church of England but Matthew Lyth refused and was held in prison. Father Nicholas Postgate was taken to York castle where he was found guilty of being a popish priest and on the 7th August 1679 being some 80 years of age he was hung, drawn and quartered. Nicholas Postgate is known as “The Last Catholic Martyr”. Matthew Lyth was released soon after the execution. There are many recorded LYTHS dating back to the 12th & 13th Centuries, but linking them directly is difficult. Because the LYTH’S were Catholics few 17th century records remain, Baptisms, Marriages and Funerals were often held at night. Matthew LYTH senior (abt.1610-1679) was buried at midnight at Sneaton church yard. A further problem arises when the Vicar of Sneaton was sacked so he rent out of the record book all the ceremonies he had performed. I hope this has been helpful, I have a HUGE database of LYTHS, If you are stuck I may be able to help. Happy Hunting ! Chris Lyth.

williams123

williams123 Report 19 Mar 2008 06:41

this is so much to take in. my lyth family are from whitby
kath

Belinda

Belinda Report 19 Apr 2008 17:00

My gt.gt.grandmother was a Mary Lyth who married Robert Borras in Holy Trinity Church Hull (hardly Catholic!) in 1797, he being described as a "Yeoman" from Beverley. Any connection?

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 23 Jan 2010 16:29

Hi I am a relative of the Lyths of Whitby.My father was Joseph Leslie O'Connor who wrote Heats of Oak A History of the recusants of the north Yorkshire moors I presume you have read it ?
Regards Elizabeth

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 23 Jan 2010 16:37

Elizabeth

These are old posts-the original one 2007.
You could try sending a personal message by clicking on the persons name but they may no longer be mebers of GR

Christopher

Christopher Report 4 Oct 2016 15:10

Hi, Christopher Lyth here, I wrote the original post (above) in 2007. I am still here, still a member. I am still working on my huge databases of LYTH's/LYTHE's LITH's etc (some 30,000+ records) if you need help i may just have that piece of information you need, Happy Hunting, Chris
:-)

Dea

Dea Report 4 Oct 2016 19:00

Good to know that you are still around Christopher - were you able to help Elizabeth, ElizabethK, Belinda and Williams123 who posted the above messages to you?

Dea x

Christopher

Christopher Report 5 Oct 2016 01:31

Hi Dea, To be honest, I cannot remember who i have helped and who i haven't, It has been so long since these posts were posted. However, I have been able to help people in the past, Best regards, Chris x :-)

mgnv

mgnv Report 5 Oct 2016 12:19

Christopher - If you wanted to type an eth using windows, you can go via Start - All programs - Accessories - System tools - Character map, and select the character, and then copy it and paste it in the target location - like this post box, and get:

LYÐ or Lyð

depending on which case you wanted.

That's fine for just the odd use, but if I were, say, transcribing a Norse saga, I'ld look at altering my keyboard mapping.

Christopher

Christopher Report 5 Oct 2016 14:55

Thank you Mark, that is very helpful, Best regards, Chris :-)

anne

anne Report 16 Jan 2021 13:09

Chris,
I am related to the Lyth family of North Yorkshire and may be able to help.
Regards
A Davis nee Swales

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Jan 2021 13:33

Christopher is no longer a member of GR and cannot be contacted through the site