Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Melissa Reaburn-Jenkin

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Melissa

Melissa Report 25 Apr 2005 02:39

Looking for information on the following: John FORTUNE ( no further info) m Catherine MCDONALD b: 1776 d:26/02/1857 RESTON C, B SCOTLAND. Catherines parents were Roderick MCDONALD and Christian PURVES. John and Catherines children: John FORTUNE b: 1813 Chirnside d:02/03/1881 RESTON m: Helen HENRY 1840 C Berwickshire (these are my GGGGrandparents) Christian Fortune b: 1795 Duns Berwickshire d: 02/03/1867 Easter Street Duns m: Thomas Robertson Jane FORTUNE b: 1806 d: 1878 RESTON Agnes FORTUNE b: 1796 d: 25/07/1891 192 High Stree Portobello m: Gavin BROWN 05/11/1819 I am particularly trying to find info on Catherine and John's background as well as my ggggrandparents Helen Henry and John Fortune. Any info greatly appreciated and many thanks Melissa Reaburn-Jenkin

Marjorie

Marjorie Report 30 Jan 2021 20:06

Hi I will be a relation. Roderick Mackdonald and Christian Purves my 5 x g grandparents. He was an agricultural labourer. Dont know anything else re him. Christian was born 1719 but do not think that date correct. She is mentioned in Chirnside parish church records as receiving money for various things and dies 27/8/1797. Catharine their daughter has 2 brothers James born 1794 and Hugh born 1778.
Catharine as you know marries John Fortune. Info on him from gravestone at Coldingham Priory on left thru gate. He is a "portioner" at Reston. Born 1748 and died 1882. Daughter Jane is my ancestor and sister to your John. I see you posted a long time ago so hope you see this.

greyghost

greyghost Report 31 Jan 2021 00:51

Welcome to the boards Marjorie.

You've noticed that Melissa's post is 15 years old. Unfortunately she is no longer a member of GR, so you won't be able to contact her.

If I'm reading the 2 posts correctly -

As you hint at - It's very unlikely that Christian born 1719 had children in 1776, 1778 and 1797 - it looks like at least 1 generation has been missed out somewhere along the line.

Melissa's post says Catherine was born 1776 (so Mother not Christian born 1719) which would make 2 brothers - Hugh born in 1778 and James in 1794 more feasible.

Did Catherine born 1776 marry John Fortune a man 30 years her senior?