Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Strath Inverness Munro/McKenzie families to Oz, 'T

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosemarie

Rosemarie Report 18 Feb 2009 03:28

Hi, I'm trying to make the connection between a family of Munro's from Strath, Skye..Myles b1804, wife Catherine nee Grant b1893 and children Catherine, Alexander, Hannah, Donald and Allan, who travelled to Australia aboard 'The Ontario' from Liverpool 1852, as part of the Bounty Scheme for Scottish families. My gggrandfather Alexander McKenzie (b1826 Strath, son of Donald McKenzie and Catherine Munro) is listed as part of this family grouping. I think that Myles Munro was a brother of Alexander's mother Catherine Munro, but can make no solid connection. I'd love any help in determining the relationship within this family group, or contact from anyone from the Munro clan from the Strath/Skye area that knows of the Munro family who migrated to Australia.
Many thanks
Rosie

Vicci

Vicci Report 18 Feb 2009 04:16

When and where did Catherine Grant and Myles Munro marry
do you have any dob for their children?

was Myles born in Strath or Skye?

Vicci

Vicci Report 18 Feb 2009 04:33

Name: Miles Munro
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1801
Where born: Inverness, Scotland

Civil Parish: Strath
County: Inverness
Address: Ashig
Parish Number: 119
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Miles Munro 40
Catherine Munro 40
Mary Munro 20
Christina Munro 15
May Munro 13
Catherine Munro 10
Donald Munro 7
Alex Munro 4
Hannah Munro 2
Allan Munro 4 Mo

Source Citation: Parish: Strath; ED: 6; Page: 3; Line: 1340; Roll: CSSCT1841_18-0559; Year: 1841.

Vicci

Vicci Report 18 Feb 2009 04:51

is Catherine Grant correect as wife?

I have found this

Catherine Grant Pedigree
Female Family

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: About 1800 Strath, Inverness, Scotland

Christening:
Death: 20 JUN 1887

Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages:
Spouse: Myles McInnes Family

Record submitted by a member of the LDS Church. The record often shows the name of the individual and his or her relationship to a descendant, shown as the heir, family representative, or relative. The original records are not indexed, and you may have to look at the film frame-by-frame to find the information you want. A family group record for this couple may be in the Family Group Record Collection; Archive Section. (See the Family History Library Catalog for the film number.) These records are alphabetical by name of the father or husband.

Source Information:
Film Number: 178068

Vicci

Vicci Report 18 Feb 2009 04:59

ALEX. MCKENZIE Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth: 13 JUN 1827

Christening: 22 JUL 1827 Strath, Inverness, Scotland

Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: DOND. MCKENZIE Family
Mother: CATH. MUNRO

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:

C111192 1815 - 1854

Vicci

Vicci Report 18 Feb 2009 05:25

1851 ???

Name: Alexander McKenzie
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1824
Relationship: Brother
Where born: Strath, Inverness
Parish Number: 119
Civil Parish: Strath
County: Inverness
Address: Torrin
ED: 10
Page: 6 (click to see others on page)
Household schedule number: 21
Line: 16
Roll: CSSCT1851_28
Household Members: Name Age
John McKenzie 30
Christy McKenzie 22
Alexander McKenzie 27
Mary McKenzie 70 MOTHER???/
Mary McKenzie 5

Source Citation: Parish: Strath; ED: 10; Page: 16; Line: 6; Roll: 1306; Year: 1851.

Vicci

Vicci Report 18 Feb 2009 05:28

I'm having problems finding the birth of Miles/Myles and the marriages likewise with Donald and Catherine

maybe you'll have better luck www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 18 Feb 2009 08:50

Rosemarie

A search on Scotlands People for a Miles Munro did not show up any matches. It is possible to do a blanket search on Scotlands People without buying any credits you only need to register so this may help
www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. Putchasing credits is not too expenseive its £6.00 for thirty credits and you will use 5 to view the actual document if it is avalable .Data protection laws mean that some of the latest stuff is not avalable online but going back to parish records you should have no problem although trying to read them is an effort in itself .
http://www.clanmunro.org.uk This link may be of use as their is a page in the site for leaving messagas asking for information

Regards Jackie

Rosemarie

Rosemarie Report 22 Feb 2009 05:21

Thankyou to you all for your efforts here. I have just found a new reference to Alexander in the recording of his death here in Victoria at the Ovens and Beechworth Asylum (his death certif. states 'Scotland')...which records his birthplace as Golspie (Sutherland)!!! His death certif confirms his parents as Donald McKenzie and Catherine Munro. I have also had an email to a kind lady who had been researching the Ontario passengers for some time....and she had come across this before....She thinks that I have the wrong Alexander. Both have parents Donald McKenzie and Catherine Munro(one was nee Grant). She has found that Ontario Alexander did not marry Margaret Tully in Loth, and that no Bounty Scheme families came from Golspie/Sutherland but collected the eligible families from Skye regions only. There is obviously a McKenzie/Munro/Grant connection running in most parts of Scotland it seems, however, this doesn't make it any easier to find the correct ones!!
Thanks folks...I'll see what Ican find on Scotslandspeople...probably more Alexander McKenzies!!
Many thanks,
Rosie

Rosskeen

Rosskeen Report 6 Jul 2020 07:17

I know it is a long time since your original posts but I look after the Clan Munro in Australia. If you would like me to, I can ask our members if they know of your family. We do have members whose ancestors are from Skye
Don

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Jul 2020 08:51

To try to contact Rosemarie, click on her name and send a message. If her e-mail hasn’t changed in 11 years, she will be notified and have the option of responding