Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Michael Nicholson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alison

Alison Report 14 May 2008 23:33

Michael Nicholson, emigrated from Liverpool to Boston USA June 1904. Planned to send for wife Mary (nee Whyatt) and daughter Mary Elizabeth (Betty). Didn’t work out. While waiting, Mary met someone else. Michael sent for Mary Elizabeth, asking his brother Patrick (living in Darwen with wife and four daughters) to make arrangements for her voyage, but she decided to stay with Mother and her partner.

Michael was born c1879 in Darwen, Lancashire, son of Mary (nee Gafney) who came from Sligo. He had a brother John, born c1876 and Patrick, the eldest, was born c1869.

Wonder if there are any descendants in USA. Have not traced Michael beyond his emigration from England. Mary Elizabeth’s son and daughter (now 80 and 85 respectively) would be interested to know.

Thanks, Alison Hamilton

Trena

Trena Report 17 Oct 2008 04:42

Hello Alison,

Unfortunately I have no info on Michael NICHOLSON for you, but I am interested in your Mary WHYATT.

Do you know who her parents were? I think your Mary may be too young (in 1904) to be our Mary WHYATT. Our lady was born c1852/53, the daughter of James WHYATT and Nancy (Agnes) HADFIELD. She did have older brothers, who may have had a daughter named Mary: Frank, Joseph, Thomas & John. I know the last (John) couldn't be her father as he had come to Canada in 1887 and his daughter Mary was born over here; he died in 1899 in Nova Scotia. There were two older sisters too: Margaret & Alice. Alice married 1) Cephas TRAVIS (4 children), 2) Joseph WRIGHT (no children).

Anything familar? Oh, I should say they were from Stockport, as was mother Nancy HADFIELD. James WHYATT was born in Reddish M/C.

Warm regards,
Trena Wyatt Heater

Trena

Trena Report 15 Dec 2008 18:44

Hopefully you will see both postings Alison.

I've recently discovered two of my great-grandfather's brothers Thomas & Frank WHYATT both went to Mass. USA. Both ended up not far from Boston, Fall River & Taunton areas. So I am more than curious regarding your own Mary WHYATT. Also, does the name Ernest or Cecil WHYATT mean anything to you?

Cheers ~ Trena