Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Alice Nicholson/Thwaite

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 24 Jan 2008 01:24

Hi I'm trying to find out any info on my maternal grandmother. Alice Nicholson was born 2 aug 1901 in Leeds she had a brother John and a sister Ada.
Alice married John Thwaite c1953 but they had 2 daughters prior to that. I hope someone out there can help, I don't know where to go from here.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Jan 2008 01:28

was Alice the eldest child?

In other words, if John and Ada were older than she was, then someone MAY be able to find them on the 1901 census

The other thing is to get Alice and John's marriage certiifcate as that should show Alice's father, which again gives a lead for searching on the 1901.

sylvia

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 24 Jan 2008 02:55

Hee, Sylvia, you've done what I always do -- why get the marriage cert if you can get the birth cert?

Would she be Alice Marjorie Nicholson? Her birth was registered a wee bit late if so -- not until the next quarter.

Do the search for the birth at FreeBMD

http://www.freebmd.org.uk

There was an Ada born in Leeds in 1904, and of course there were several Johns.

One assumes that you don't have her birth cert already, and just know your grandmother's birthday by heart!

To be sure you have the right person, you really need both certificates, to match up the father's names.

Then you can find the parents' marriage, and, as Sylvia said, find them in the 1901 ...