Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Leonard LT Rhodes b.1914

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wade

Wade Report 30 Aug 2010 08:54

I am trying to find anyone who has a Leonard LT Rhodes in their family trees. He was born in 1914 and married Annie Campbell in 1941. I would be grateful for any information on this line.

Flick

Flick Report 30 Aug 2010 09:27

Look in search trees...set up by GR for just your type of enquiry

I assume you know where he was born?

Flick

Flick Report 30 Aug 2010 09:30

Name: Leonard L T Rhodes
Year of Registration: 1914
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Mother's Maiden Name: Vizard
District: Hackney
County: Greater London, London, Middlesex
Volume: 1b
Page: 905

Now you can look for the marriage of his parents................

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

Flick

Flick Report 30 Aug 2010 09:35

He had a brother

Births Jun 1916 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rhodes Louis J Vizard Hackney 1b 817

Name: Louis John Rhodes
Birth Date: 14 May 1916
Death Registration Month/Year: Jan 1996
Age at death (estimated): 79
Registration district: Brighton
Inferred County: Sussex
Register number: D58A
District and Subdistrict: 4521D
Entry number: 214

Wade

Wade Report 30 Aug 2010 17:15

Many thanks Felicity for this information. I knew Leonard had a brother but not his name. I would really like to find any descendents of Leonard, so will plug away on BMD Index. Regards

Flick

Flick Report 30 Aug 2010 17:23

The marriage was in Middlesex

There are no births in Middlesex after the marriage date for Rhodes/Campbell

And his death does not appear to be on Ancestry, which covers up to 2005

Wade

Wade Report 1 Sep 2010 15:30

I found these possible descendents:

June Rhodes, b. 1942 in Ashton
Vincent Rhodes, b. 1944 in Sheffield
Susan G. Rhodes, b. 1946 in Dartford
Cynthia A. Rhodes, b. 1946 in Dudley
Barbara A. Rhodes, b. 1947 in Ashton

All have mother's maiden name as Campbell.

Wade

Wade Report 26 Feb 2011 08:26

Louis Rhodes married Hilda M. Inwood (Medway, Jul -Sep 1937). They had at least one child, Ronald L. Rhodes (b. Surrey NW Apr - Jun, 1941) There is a marriage entry for Ronald Rhodes and Joan E. Graves (Edmonton, Mx., Jan - Mar, 1960). I cannot find any children for this marriage, however. Any ideas for tracing the whereabouts of Ronald?There is no death record for him, so hopefully he is still alive.

patchem

patchem Report 26 Feb 2011 08:42

Have you tried anelectoral rolls search, such as:
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/trying_to_find/any/thread/1231191

Flick

Flick Report 26 Feb 2011 09:42

Have you taken the precaution of cross-referencing the Rhodes/Campbell births with any potentially relevant marriages in the given registration districts?

There is no second initial for the Ronald Rhodes who married in 1960 - unlikely, therefore, to be your relation...........and he would have been only 18 years old

Flick

Flick Report 26 Feb 2011 09:56

Probable parents of the children registered in ASHTON

Maurice Rhodes = Campbell Oct-Nov-Dec 1940 Ashton Lancashire, Cheshire

Ditto SHEFFIELD

Matthew Rhodes = Campbell Jul-Aug-Sep 1935 Sheffield Yorkshire - West Riding

The Dartford and Dudley births are the 'floaters'..........purchasing the certs would establish the identities of their parents.

Of course, all this assumes that Annie E Campbell was a spinster when she married..........have you verified that she was?

Wade

Wade Report 27 Feb 2011 07:04

Annie Elizabeth Campbell was a spinster, father Robert Campbell (deceased), a farmer. Witnesses were H.M. Rhodes and J.W. Moore.

Flick

Flick Report 27 Feb 2011 11:07

Any thoughts on the info I found and posted?

Wade

Wade Report 27 Feb 2011 11:43

Yes, I also thought it strange that Ronald would marry at 18 and to a woman 9 years older than himself, although it is just about possible.
As for offspring of Leonard and Annie, I was given info that showed they emigrated to Canada and then California. They had a son, Nigel Cedric.
I tried to contact Nigel at a number from a phone book dated 1995, but no luck there as the number was not in service. This is why I am trying to trace descendents of Louis Rhodes, Leonard's brother. (see post on Leonard and Annie on the board).