Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

murton county durham ridleys

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Derek

Derek Report 10 Mar 2009 23:27

Trying to find any living relatives of the East Murton County Durham Ridley Family please check out my tree
My birthname was John Roger Ridley born 4 september 1953 at Wingrove General Hospital Newcastle upon Tyne my mothers name was Lily Ridley born 1918 easington district county durham last known address stockton street patten rd Wheatley Hill county durham in 1954
Her parents were james and lily ridley nee chapman married 1916 easington county durham
i now understand that lily had another sister irene born easington 1924
My father was John Roger Thew date and place of birth unknown he lived at 7 Leighton Terrace Birtley co durham at the time of my birth . .

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 10 Mar 2009 23:31

Hi John -- just so you know, nobody can look at your tree unless you specifically grant them access.

If you search trees here and find someone with names in common, you can give them access by sending them a message, but it's generally thought wise to wait until a match is confirmed before giving access to personal info like that.

You do know there is at least one other person with Lily Ridley in their tree? Search for her with 5 years either side of 1918 -- someone has a Lily 1920 born in Birtley, as well.

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 10 Mar 2009 23:33

Are you looking for info about your father?

I don't know whether you've searched at FreeBMD

http://www.freebmd.org.uk

but there's only one matching name as so far transcribed:

Births Mar 1925
Thew John R (Nelson) Chester-le-S. 10a 1109

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 10 Mar 2009 23:38

You can search for Lily's siblings at FreeBMD simply by searching for

births
surname Ridley
mother's surname Chapman

Mother's surname was included in the index after 1911.

Irene was born in 1924. There are two other births with those surnames after that, in Dartford and Tynemouth, but there is also a Ridley-Chapman marriage in 1924 in Dartford, and there could be others not yet transcribed.

If you get Lily's and Irene's birth certificates, they will give you their exact birthdates.

With that info it is sometimes possible to identify a death in the post-1984 index even without knowing the woman's married surname, if she died during that period, since dates of birth are included in the records.

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 11 Mar 2009 00:32

PM from John:

hi evie thanks for advice my salvation army adoption records confirm that my mother lidley ridley was born sept 1918 easington county durham
i am trying to establish the true identity of her parents

Please reply in the thread, John. It is far too annoying to have to match up private messages with threads on the discussion boards!

I'm not understanding. Why is there an issue as to the "true identity" of Lily Ridley's parents? Do you have her birth certificate? If not ... why not? ;)

Is there some reason to think that the parents named on her birth cert would not be her real parents?

Their marriage certificate (James Ridley & Lily Chapman) would give you their ages and fathers' names, for identifying them further. So again ... have you got the marriage certificate? And if not ... !

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 11 Mar 2009 00:57

You have a number of threads about these Ridleys, John.

When I did a search of the boards for the name Lily Ridley, some other interesting things came up.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=700610

12th June 2007 23:19
I have just been an ancestry and found my Robert Potts Ridley in first qtr of 1907 who i think could be the chap whop adopted my Dad. Can I find his mother from here and siblings. All I want to know is did he have a sister called Lily?

That person has several other posts along these lines:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=485890

27th September 2006 19:41
Please Please can anyone help me or point me in the right direction. I am looking for relatives on my Father's side. His name was Robert Ridley born 1942 in Birtley, Tyne & Wear. He was born to Lily Ridley of Dorset Avenue, Birtley and adopted into the famly by an Uncle (I think) at around 3 years of age. I have been reseraching for 2 years now and hit a brick wall. I have his birth cert and have just ordered his Adoption Cert. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.
Thanks

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=485548

1st October 2006 09:17
Well I'm back loaded with more information well a bit anyway. I now have my Dad's adoption certificate which gives me his adopted parents. he was adopted when he was 5 years old by a Robert Potts RIDLEY and his wife Lily RIDLEY, they lived in the same street where Dad was born but a different number. I was always told Dad was adopted by his uncle?? Does anyone have any idea where the POTTS would come from is it an extra surname or a middle name?

That person has in her tree here at GR:

Lily 1920 Birtley, County Durham, England

Then of course there are posts by you, identical to your current post.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1002309
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=512046

and several gazillion more.

The correct way to proceed (under the rules linked from the message "Before posting, please read the guidelines for message board use" under the box where you compose your post) is to post a new message in the existing thread, not start a new one. It gets extremely confusing, and duplicated work by people who don't have the benefit of seeing what was previously done is the likely result.

Anyhow. I'm afraid the geography of all this is throwing me for a complete loop. But there has to be a connection here somewhere!

If there is, it sounds like the Lily Ridley in question was a Ridley by marriage. ??

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 11 Mar 2009 01:06

Since the other GR member has already put her Robert Ridley's birth info on the boards, I'll just add it here:

Name: Robert Ridley
Mother's Maiden Surname: Ridley
Date of Registration: Oct Nov Dec 1942
Registration district: Durham N
Registration county: Durham
Volume Number: 10a
Page Number: 731

What's throwing me is that he was adopted by a Robert Ridley and his wife Lily. That makes not much sense to me. ... Hmm, this clarifies a bit:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=437775

12th June 2007 21:51
I am STILL trying to find info on my Father's side and now nearly 3 years later I am still at a brick wall. I have his birth certificate which states he was born to Lily Ridley of Barley Mow, Birtley, Co Durham in 1942. He was then adopted by an Uncle (think it was John) and his wife...Aslo named Lily, they resided in the same street in Birtley.

Births Mar 1907
Ridley Robert Potts Chester le S. 10a 594

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 11 Mar 2009 01:11

Robert Potts Ridley did have a sister Lily, it seems likely:

Births Sep 1919
Ridley Lily (Potts) Chester le S 10a 1077

(and siblings Blanche, Dorothy and George (twins), and Ada, all born in Chester-le-Street, if they were all children of the same parents)

And this may all be some giant set of coincidences. ;)

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 11 Mar 2009 01:36

My big question is:

"Her parents were james and lily ridley nee chapman married 1916 easington county durham"

-- how do you know? Just by inference from the records in the GRO?

I might not trust the info on your birth certificate about your Lily Ridley's birth details quite entirely. She herself may have been vague on them.

Peter

Peter Report 7 Jan 2018 20:11

I am Irene Ridley's son.

She was born 14/10/1924.

Mam married Joseph Holmes in 1954, She passed away 11/07/1997.

I can provide a lot more details if anyone is interested.