Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Alexander Robinson - Togston

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrew

Andrew Report 29 Jul 2008 11:02

Killed in a mining accident in 1928. Trying to find any relations. Believe he had two sisters and two brothers all in the Togston area. When he died he had five children. His wife - Martha - remarried and some year later moved to Birmingham. I am his grandson.

Lindylu

Lindylu Report 29 Jul 2008 11:10

pardon my ignorance but where is togston and what year was he born?

Ann

Ann Report 29 Jul 2008 11:15

its in northumberland

Brian

Brian Report 29 Jul 2008 11:15

Northumberland I think Lindylu

doddsy1

doddsy1 Report 29 Jul 2008 11:18

Is this his marriage
Alexander Robinson to Martha L Irving 1922, Hexham

Ann

Ann Report 29 Jul 2008 11:22

found this 1901 census
alexander robinson born 1896 at togston terrace togston parents thomas A age 35 alice 29, sisters elizabeth 7yrs, jane A 9yrs, brothers thomas A 1yr and george w 2months

doddsy1

doddsy1 Report 29 Jul 2008 11:23

His death ?
Alexander Robinson aged 31 years, Oct-Dec 1928, Hexham, Vol 10b Page 447

doddsy1

doddsy1 Report 29 Jul 2008 11:38

In 1901 Thomas A Robinson is married to a lady named Alice but in 1891 he is married to a lady called Elizabeth (still in Togstone)

There is a marriage for a Thomas Amory Robinson to Elizabeth Kirkup in 1888, Newcastle so maybe Alice was his 2nd wife.

doddsy1

doddsy1 Report 29 Jul 2008 11:50

Possible parents of Thomas Amory Robinson are...
Alexander Robinson who married Annabell Amorey in 1859 at Rothbury.

Andrew

Andrew Report 29 Jul 2008 12:00

Thanks all that is great stuff. This is quite exciting!!!. Would really be interested if anyone has any info on the possible trees of the brothers and sisters of Alexander. After he was killed Martha remarried and we have no knowledge of any "Robinson" family connections. Would be quite bizzarre to find we had relatives living around the corner.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 29 Jul 2008 12:01

If you google togston mining disaster it takes you to Durham mining museun site and togston is named

Lindylu

Lindylu Report 29 Jul 2008 12:14

Ooops! I live in Northumberland!!!!

Andrew

Andrew Report 29 Jul 2008 12:15

Maybe we are all related !!!!!!!!!

Lindylu

Lindylu Report 29 Jul 2008 12:17

I used to be called Robinson too!!!

Andrew

Andrew Report 29 Jul 2008 12:23

This is my first attempt at trying to track anybody down, so probably doing it all wrong. This could become addictive.

Lindylu

Lindylu Report 29 Jul 2008 12:49

Oooh Andrew, its very, very addictive once you've made your first 'hit' so to speak!

Joanne

Joanne Report 29 Jul 2008 21:15

what are the five childrens names

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 Jul 2008 21:36

Andrew,

The Northumberland County Record office at Ashington have loads of records from that area.

My husband's great grandfather farmed at Low Hall Togston and his brother farmed at Hope House, Amble which is close by. Someone at the record office found us an 11 page A3 Tennancy Agreement between the brother at Hope House and the landowner who was the Countess of Newburgh.

It gives loads of information about what he could do on the farm and even had one full year's accounts and letters that he had written. It was a great and very interesting find.

The staff at the record office are very helpful.

Kath. x

Andrew

Andrew Report 29 Jul 2008 23:14

Thanks for the feedback. All help is gratefully received. I am sure there must be someone out there related to the Robinson family.