Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Information on my Grandad

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Adrian

Adrian Report 21 Aug 2008 17:30

URGENT! I am trying to find someone who might hold information on my late Grandad Arthur Robinson(Jock) born somewhere in Yorkshire in 1921 and was married once to a Betty, also he served in the Royal Navy and was 1 of 2 survivors on an air attack on the HMS Delight in July 1940 25 miles south of Portland Bill near Portsmouth.

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 21 Aug 2008 17:32

Adrian.....

Can't quite see how this is urgent....???

Other than you want the data NOW..... sadly thats not how this place moves....

Who were his parents?? Where have you looked yourself??

Tracey

Dea

Dea Report 21 Aug 2008 17:33

Is there a reason for the urgency please?

Dea x

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 21 Aug 2008 17:34

As he is dead, I fail to understand the reason for the urgency..............

He isn't going anywhere.............

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 21 Aug 2008 17:35

Eric i thought the same but did fancy being so blunt lol....

Tracey

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 21 Aug 2008 17:36

Adrian

Have you Googled for the Air strike on that ship??

...and i do think you need to read up on some facts.... only 6 men lost their lives on that boat.!!!

"..........She finally sank in Portland harbour early the next morning, having lost six of her company in the attack."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Delight_(H38)

Wikipedia is a great tool !!

Tracey

Dea

Dea Report 21 Aug 2008 17:37

Eric (R) is always blunt !!

I wish I could do that !!

Dea x

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 21 Aug 2008 17:41

LOL Eric!

You sound like my son when I'm fretting about a certificate taking time to arrive. "So what mum, they're all dead"

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 21 Aug 2008 17:41

http://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Chrono-10DD-19D-Delight.htm

The above site also states only 6 men lost their lives...

......maybe some tongue in cheek war stories have been told over the years???

Tracey

doddsy1

doddsy1 Report 21 Aug 2008 17:42

There are 7 Arthur Robinson's born in 1921 in Yorkshire, I'm afraid that you will have to supply a bit more information ie: parents names, names of brothers and sisters

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 21 Aug 2008 17:45

Oh and it might be an idea to read the "Two Magic Words" thread as well ... I've nudged it back up the board for you Adrian.

Jill

Adrian

Adrian Report 21 Aug 2008 17:48

Thank you everyone for your smart remarks but I have definete evidence to state that he survived the Air strike on that ship cos he got a medal thank you and also the urgency is that my mum aint got long to live and she wants the tree done I have looked on that website.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 21 Aug 2008 17:50

Adrian, it would have been far better for you to have mentioned your mum's situation ... you would have had many willing helpers rushing off in all directions looking for info for you.

And, Two Magic Words? What might they be then?

Jill

Adrian

Adrian Report 21 Aug 2008 17:51

PLEASE AND THANK YOU

doddsy1

doddsy1 Report 21 Aug 2008 17:59

Does your mother know the name of either of Arthur's parents ?

hazlenuss

hazlenuss Report 21 Aug 2008 18:21

Dear all
Why can't everyone give the guy a break? Who on earth do you guys think you are, yes OK he should have perhaps used Please and Thank you. But I am lost for words as to why you react to such a simple request. If you don't like the way he asked for the information, just simply ignore and let someone who is not too bothered about his approach reply.
Thank you!

Teresa

Teresa Report 21 Aug 2008 18:34

Adrian,

If you kno his service details you could apply to the Navy for his service records, this may have some useful information in them

CrystalTips

CrystalTips Report 21 Aug 2008 18:37

Adrian,
having searched for a possible marriage on yorkshirebmd.org.uk, - assuming that Arthur may have married in Yorkshire, an Arthur Robinson married Elizabeth Hallam, at St Mary the Virgin, Middleton, Leeds in 1947.

Teresa

Teresa Report 21 Aug 2008 18:39

Do you have a copy of you mothers parents marriage certificate. it will give you Grandathers fathers name and we can try to do a search on that.

Dea

Dea Report 21 Aug 2008 19:30

Adrian

If it really IS urgent - don't tak offence and don't get 'lippy (NO offence meant! and no matter how 'provoked' you feel!)' !!

TRY to explain on here exactly what info you need and why!

There are many of people who can and will help you!!

It sound's like you need assistance but you have got off on th wrong foot.

PLEASE try to explain and we will try our very best to help.

Best wishes,

Dea x,