Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Alice Robinson bc1826

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mike *

Mike * Report 26 Mar 2010 15:30

I am trying to find the parents of Alice Robinson bc1826.

She is shown on the 1841 census living with John & Ellen Bradshaw, Liddle Lane, Hutton, Preston, Lancashire. If I read it correct, she is aged between 15-20.

In 1851 the same two Bradshaws’ have a Mary Robinson aged 10 with them and I think it says “son’s neice”. No sign of Alice, who could have married.

This tells me that possibly one of Alice Robinson’s brother or sister’s married the Bradshaw’s son, but I can’t discover a link.

patchem

patchem Report 26 Mar 2010 15:38

If Mary Robinson is 10 in 1851, she should show up as being alive in 1841 - have you looked for her?

Mike *

Mike * Report 26 Mar 2010 15:46

She was born after the census 27th November

patchem

patchem Report 26 Mar 2010 15:50

Sorry, could you put up the details of the 1841 census, just cannot see them.
Thanks

Mike *

Mike * Report 26 Mar 2010 15:55

Lindon lane, Hutton, Preston. (it is actually Lindle Lane)

John Bradshaw 40 Sawyer
Ellen Bradshaw 40 Sawyers wife
Alice Robinson 15 Inmate

patchem

patchem Report 26 Mar 2010 16:04

Niece does not have to mean niece.
Have you worked out name of John and Ellen's son, as I cannot even find a marriage(of John and Ellen) just lots of John and Ellen Bradshaws in the censuses - did not realise how common a name it was.

On my ancestry 1841 Alice does not immediately show up as in same household, so did not see her,
Thanks

Mike *

Mike * Report 26 Mar 2010 16:14

Not sure which of these two it could be who John Married at Penwortham St Mary:

Ellen Waring 12/8/1827
Ellen Parker 11/4 1831

There is a John Bradshaw's baptism at Longton St Andrew 19/4/1828 and Richard 6/12/1830 plus a William 21/9/1834 all these have John & Ellen as parents although I would have thought they would still have been at home with their parents in 1841?

Mike *

Mike * Report 26 Mar 2010 16:16

What else would niece refer to and is Inmate just someone not related to the Head of Household staying at that address

patchem

patchem Report 26 Mar 2010 16:27

Theoretically you are not necessarily looking for a marriage between Robinson and Bradshaw.
Possibly it is just coincidence of surnames Robinson (Alice and Mary).
John and Ellen have a son who has left home by 1841, married or working as servant, or apprentice, etc.
He marries, anytime up to 1851, Miss Jones. Miss Jones has an older sister who married Mr Robinson, and produced Mary.
As you know Mary's birthdate, have you got her birth certificate for parents?
Any idea of 'inmate' for Alice, do not think it normally used?
Sorry, added this slowly and you have already replied in-between.

Mike *

Mike * Report 26 Mar 2010 16:30

Mary was baptised at Farington St Paul's 9th January 1842, only states Hutton, no father recorded.

Mike *

Mike * Report 26 Mar 2010 16:34

Illigetimate children appear to run in the family. Mary had a son John in 1859 although the church record states Bradshaw and not Robinson!