Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to connect Bethell Martin Robinson 1780

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 25 Sep 2010 16:52

I have recently discovered that the father of my gr.gr.grandfather Henry Charles Robinson b 1807, is Bethell Robinson, who was a military man. I believe from other information I have, that Bethell Robinson is the same person as Bethell Martin Robinson. Does anyone have any information to confirm this for me.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 25 Sep 2010 16:57

Where was he born?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 25 Sep 2010 16:57

Susan, what area/county were they from?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 25 Sep 2010 17:01

Susan, there seems to have been a few Bethell Robinsons. It would be worth you having a look on Family Search http://pilot.familysearch.org, where I found this:

Name: Bethell Martin Robinson
Baptism/Christening Date: 30 Sep 1781
Baptism/Christening Place: CATWICK,YORK,ENGLAND
Birth Date: 30 Sep 1781
Birthplace:
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Bethell Robinson
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name:
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C10713-2
System Origin: England-ODM
Source Film Number: 919450
Reference Number:
Collection: England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 25 Sep 2010 17:03

That was'nt Susan demanding where they were born, that was me, anouther Susan asking where?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 25 Sep 2010 17:06

There are also numerous Bethell Robinsons in public trees on Ancestry (some very detailed trees) and also 12 here on GR

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 25 Sep 2010 17:07

Susan2 - I'd peeked at the member names and sussed you weren't Susan1 !

Susan

Susan Report 25 Sep 2010 17:10

This is me, 1st Susan, who wanted to see if Bethell Martin Robinson is the father of Henry Charles Robinson. Bethell Martin Robinson, born in Yorkshire, c1782, d c1852, married a Margaret? They had issue, but I'm not sure how many, and I'm hoping that Henry Charles Robinson was their son. There is a lot of Bethell Robinsons in Yorkshire, around the Beverley area, so its a bit confusing.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 25 Sep 2010 17:14

Susan1 - when I mentioned that there are a number of public trees on Ancestry (there's a 14 day free trial at the moment) I meant to say that you may want to have a search on there to see if you can find a link.

Susan

Susan Report 25 Sep 2010 17:31

I am a member of Ancestry, and have looked at the public trees, which have been very useful. However, I have as yet been unable to definitely link my gr.gr.grandfather Henry Charles Robinson with Bethell Martin Robinson. I do know that in Henry Charles' obituary (he was a surgeon and apothecary) that he was described as 'the son of Captain Bethell Robinson' and was born in Parkhurst Barrcks, Isle of Wight in 1807. I found out in the London Gazette that a Bethell Martin Robinson, gentleman, was assigned the rank of Ensign in 1804 in the Royal African Corps. I then looked the Royal African Corps up, and found that it was split in two in 1806, one part remaining the Royal African Corps, and the other becoming the Royal York Rangers. The Royal York Rangers were apparently garrisoned in the Isle of Wight in 1806/1807, so it does look likely that Bethell Martin Robinson could be my gr.gr.gr. grandfather, but I was at the Newport Records Office last year, and there is no record of his birth or baptism. Susan

Susan

Susan Report 8 Aug 2011 17:27

You might be interested to know that I have now found loads of stuff on Bethell Martin Robinson and his ancestors, and also connections to my Gr.Gr. Grandfather Henry Charles Robinson, b 1807 Isle of Wight. I had been unable to find parents for Henry Charles Robinson, but now am pleased to say that I am as sure as I can be that Bethell Martin Robinson was his father and Margaret his mother. I have now been able to trace the Robinsons back to the 1600's and further back if you go sideways. So thank you everybody for the help you gave me in the past. Susan

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 8 Aug 2011 20:29

Thanks for letting us know Susan, and well done! :-)