Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Swayfield Lincolnshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 15 Dec 2010 13:51

St. Nicholas Church a marriage dated 10.11.1552 between Joanne Hull and a William Robinson (might also be known as Thomas).

Have allowed 20 years between the generations so presume they were born around 1530-40. All their descedants were married in the same church and all births are South Lincs (South of Grantham).

The name Robinson originated in Yorkshire and I know my ancestors moved to Lincs, but cannot find any records re his birh date and place. I am looking for his parents and grandparents. Can anyone help?

Michael

Michael Report 15 Dec 2010 14:02

Very sorry have been called away and will be back online tomorrow at 13:00 - please leave an replies for me. Thanks

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 15 Dec 2010 14:33

Are you looking for a place called SWAYFIELD or a name?

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 15 Dec 2010 15:50

I'm guessing St. Nicholas Church is in Swayfield, Lincolnshire and that Michael is looking for the parents of William Robinson and Joanne Hull who married there in 1552.

Michael - parish registers began in 1538, not all parishes started at that date - some were later and some of the earlier registers may not survive.

So you are probably unlikely to find any baptisms for this couple or marriages for their parents, you could try looking for other avenues other than parish registers - such as manorial records, tax records, wills etc.

Might be worth seeing what the Lincolnshire Records Office holds for that parish to see if there are any other records pertaining to Swayfield that might help.

Michael

Michael Report 16 Dec 2010 13:12

For Claire in Lincs,

looking for any info re family ROBINSON of Swayfield Lincolnshire prior to 1552.

Michael

Flick

Flick Report 16 Dec 2010 13:18

As Alex has pointed out....parish registers were not in force before 1538, and one would assume that your ancestors were older than 13/14 when they married, so there will not be any info available through that source.

Michael

Michael Report 16 Dec 2010 13:50

For Alex Woozle,

Thanks Alex - just to explain the details given in my thread actually come from the parish records (St. Nicholas Church) in Swayfield and were researched by my father about 40 years ago; before the internet.

I have managed to trace all the info in my thread, however there is some confusion over WR (or TR) as in my father's original notes it says Thomas aka William and I have found one source that Joanne Hull was married to TR and in another to WR,but the date of marriage is the same in both!

My father also noted that W or T's father was called Richard b 1500 - 1510? and married a Barbara Bruntson 18.01.1533 at St. Nicholas, Swayfield.

I have tried to trace this Richard, but can only find one b in Helpringham in either 1504 or 1508 and is married to a Margaret.

I was in touch with the Lincoln Records Office last year as all the parish records that I found on line always came up as Spalding, and they told me that that was the diocese that Swayfiled belonged to and is now diocese of Lincoln.

As the parish records were hand written and my father's wasn't so good either it is often difficult to decipher. I have also discovered so many typographical errors and spelling on line, and even with details for myself.

Here is the brick wall! As my ancestors were Lords Mayor and Sheriffs of York have obtained a list and mangaed to trace back to Peter b1480?, but still cannot find the link between York and Lincs.

But, many thanks once again to you for the info.

Michael

Michael

Michael Report 16 Dec 2010 14:01

Thanks Flick,

but the info I had, originally came from the actual parish records held at St. Nicholas, Swayfield.

Also, there is a lot of data on census records prior to the first one with names in (1841?), but it is not of much use as it was only a head count. Have also managed to find details from other sources prior to 1538 and one of my ancestors was married at the age of 13! (Naughty Boy!) He was married a few days before the birth of a child - if the records are correct.